Vifa tweeter, wrinkled dome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

My question is simple: is there anything I could do to repair a "bumped" Vifa tweeter shown in the picture? Do I need to disassemble it somehow to straighten the dome back to its former shape?

Despite its condition the tweeter still works (somehow). Its model number is: Vifa D20TD-05-06. It has been discontinued a long time ago. In my loudspeakers the tweeter is paired with a 5½" midwoofer TC14WG49-08, also made by Vifa.

Any help would be appreciated...

:confused:

Attachments

• imgp1939.jpg
    imgp1939.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 195
Looks like this tweeter is easy to disassemble by removing these three torx. You can make it coming back then with a finger. Reassembling it correctly can be either very easy or a real hassle, all depends of the centering system and of the gap size. Is it ferro fluided ?
If problems, I secure progressively the screws while running a sine at say 1000 Hz. That's barbarian but makes easy to know if the coil is touching something.

If you don't feel comfortable with this or the vacuum methods, there is always the needle.

Looks like this tweeter is easy to disassemble by removing these three torx. You can make it coming back then with a finger. Reassembling it correctly can be either very easy or a real hassle, all depends of the centering system and of the gap size. Is it ferro fluided ?
If problems, I secure progressively the screws while running a sine at say 1000 Hz. That's barbarian but makes easy to know if the coil is touching something.

If you don't feel comfortable with this or the vacuum methods, there is always the needle.

I went with this method and opened the assembly. The three screws hold the plastic front plate in place and underneath it is the dome/voice coil assembly. The voice coil assembly had three centering pins, so I didn't experience any difficulty re-assembling the tweeter.

Picture shows the result. There are still some small wrinkles but it doesn't affect the sound anymore. I am happy I could get my first pair of DIY speakers back functional.

Thank you for your advice!

:)

Attachments

• IMGP1945.JPG
    IMGP1945.JPG
    824.1 KB · Views: 118
On a (un?)related note; when I was de-soldering the leads on the tweeter I noticed the midwoofer's diaphragm surround had a small hole in it. I attempted fixing this by placing a tiny piece of self-vulcanizing tape over the hole from the inner side of the surround. Since the surround is also rubber, it seemed to stick surprisingly well.

Attachments

• IMGP1949.JPG
    IMGP1949.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 93
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.