Understanding John Dunlavy's Crossover Designs Crown Prince

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know what tweeter he finally settled on(never opened up the speaker), but I know it was different from the one first installed. So was the crossover once he finished tweaking.

One thing I love about John(and probably one of his biggest weaknesses as a businessman) was his almost compulsive nature at small detail in engineering, and in voicing his speakers. When he found an improvement to something, he would always come back to my studio and install and tweak it. As I said earlier, he came back to my studio four times before walking away from my SC-V - and then eventually getting too sick to return for good. When he told be that each SC-V spent 30hrs in the anechoic chamber, and being listened to and tweak, I was blow away. Makes it worth my investment to know this.
Back in 96, when I bought the SC-1's, I called up the company to see how they were coming along. The secretary put him on the phone. He spent about a half an hour in joyous conversation, talking about his design philosophy(And I was buying the cheapest speaker!). He was an extremely nice(And amazingly talented) guy..

Updated crossover from Duntech.

Attachments

• upgrade.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 542
I'm a french audiophile ,i bought Duntech Crown Prince's used in 1992, switched 3 years later to MBL101's for some years,giving my C P's to my son..
But after some years,i was sooo deceived with the MBL's (and my son uninterested by the C P's)that i recovered my old CP's, changed the 4 woofers (the original model was not exactly the 75,the membrane was different, but impossible to get strictly the same then i bought 75 to Dynaudio..),changed all the caps to SCR MKP's (which is the trademark currently used by Duntech australia,fortunately of french origin, the price is very reasonable..).
About the caps ,i measured the values and adjusted them in order to reproduce exactly the indicated value of the old one..I didnt change resistors neither inductors.

My opinion is:
-extremely dynamic speakers,notably with AR amps (i used classic 60),the best speakers i've ever heard,in particular wide and deep scene,about transients,be careful, could reproduce explosions..
-extremely difficult to perfectly tune since very sensible to any detail,fr example cables.
The section of the low freq cable is very important since influences the recovering zone between woofer and medium..had to reduce section drastically to avoid too much high-bass.(i use bi-wiring flat silver cable for mass,unique fr both lows and highs,,single AWG24 for lows, litz (8X0,28+25X0,05)for highs, adapted to suit to the amp and the remainder..(very short cables, less than 1.3meters.
-Now the amp is a class D ( a classdaudio sds470) which sounds extremely good,better than the formers airtight ATM2 and Ayon TritonII..but difficult to optimize the sound, notably the influence of mains power supply cables is far from negligible.

I will (may be) try to bi-amp with a double classdaudio 4 channel amp,and try a Hypex n-core 1200.
Il any of yu know a speaker which is better, please let me know it...same if anyone has replaced the passive filter with a FIR (in tri-amping mode)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.