Understanding John Dunlavy's Crossover Designs Crown Prince - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 01:18 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

once the new boards are done and i see the results, i might be open to some changes. Duntech Au states that they should fall within a +/-2dB window and that the new products best that and go for a 1db window. SO, once done, I will take a look and see where they are.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:36 AM   #42
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Still, we are seeing ~3dB/oct electrical, yes?
Well, not necessarily. The electrical response involves the driver impedance and the two are inseperable (using resistors doesn't show anything meaningful but could be used for comparison.
Old 10th July 2012, 11:35 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Well, not necessarily. The electrical response involves the driver impedance and the two are inseperable (using resistors doesn't show anything meaningful but could be used for comparison.
Right, a rising impedance on the low end of the midrange would cause the acoustic rolloff to be more, also there could be phase shift issues between the woofers causing (a problem) and more of an acoustic rolloff then what the electrical curve suggests.

I agree that the drivers impedance is critical for an accurate electrical response. but I figured a resistor would be better than no load at all. and while not a 100% accurate graph, I figured it would be interesting to look at and would offer me at least some way of comparing the new board/parts to the old board.

Zc
Old 10th July 2012, 12:51 PM   #44
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
well, that's just silly. of course it shows something "meaningful", it just doesn't show what the xover does with the reactive real-world load, it does show the basic filter response.

_-_-bear
Old 11th July 2012, 12:50 AM   #45
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's a good thing to have a repeatable way of comparing the old and new crossover, even if this is it.

A reactive load can give a result quite different and even opposite to what was expected. Go no further than the example of using a capacitor to roll off a woofer. The response can increase beyond the original around the woofer's resonance. Even if you pre-converted the woofer's impedance to a frequency dependent resistance by zeroing ZW< you wouldn't see this.

Since the most relevant parts of a rolloff in a crossover usually involve filter 'knees' and sometimes bumpy responses, the damping and other subtle effects make up the effective rolloff.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:17 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

I have the stock crossovers back together and I could connect the analyzer to the crossover and take a look at the real world electrical response with the drivers connected. it might be interesting to see what effect the impedance of the drivers plays on the electrical response of the filter network!
Old 16th July 2012, 01:41 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

I want to thank Roxyab (who also has a set of Crown Prince's) for contacting me and informing me that the midrange drivers are Scan-speak 13M3808's! I am trying to find a spec sheet on these but haven't had much luck yet.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:50 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I sent a request to the manufacturer in Denmark for the specs. The person in charge is away until august 5th. I will post them when and if I get them! I am very interested in your crossover project! Good Luck!
Old 18th July 2012, 02:28 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Crown Prince crossover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1256.jpg (484.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 08:25 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Well I'm curious as to how everything turned out!!
Please update.
Thanks, Johnny K

Hide this!Advertise here!