Inductors, Trivial Or Major Improvment??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are there major differences in brands of AIR CORE inductors in terms of sonics?

I am rebuilding the Crossovers for my Duntech Crown Prince speakers. keeping the same component values but upgrading the capacitors and resistors as suggested by Duntech AU. In fact i am building entirely new crossover boards and I am shopping the inductors at the moment and not finding a real large selection. Solen, Erse, Goretz seem to be the 3 major brands i see plus some no name brands.

Is there a large difference say between a Solen, Goretz and a stock Madisound inductor?? keeping the wire gauge as close as possible and keeping the values the same etc.

Zc

are there major differences in brands of AIR CORE inductors in terms of sonics?

I am rebuilding the Crossovers for my Duntech Crown Prince speakers. keeping the same component values but upgrading the capacitors and resistors as suggested by Duntech AU. In fact i am building entirely new crossover boards and I am shopping the inductors at the moment and not finding a real large selection. Solen, Erse, Goretz seem to be the 3 major brands i see plus some no name brands.

Is there a large difference say between a Solen, Goretz and a stock Madisound inductor?? keeping the wire gauge as close as possible and keeping the values the same etc.

Zc

As long as the values and gauge are the same, there's no reason there would be any measurable or audible difference limited to "brand". The biggest difference you'll find is in DCR. Higher DCR will change bass tuning and should be factored into enclosure modelling.

The Goertz/Erse flat foil inductors have some good hype about them, I was considering them but wondered if they would be worth the extra expense.

It is just my gut based understanding, but wouldn't have flat flat foil inductors higher interwinding capacitance than round coil inductors? That's about the only electrical difference I can picture between the two types. The question then is whether higher interwinding capacitance is a good thing. Probably not.

vac

this is what I am rebuilding! they have the strangest capacitors i have ever seen.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 110
Hi Zero Cool,

Please be aware that some reputable loudspeaker manufacturers use thin gauge wire in their inductors in order to achieve a specific series resistance, thus saving them the cost of a resistor. My advice would be to have the inductors measured and if their values are within tolerance, re-use them. In my experience, air cored inductors are ultra reliable components, unless they have been damaged in any way. On the other hand, there should be no problems with regards to changing the capacitors.
As for your capacitors appearing strange, I suspect that you may be referring to the loop of wire at the ends of each capacitor. If this is what you are referring to, I would guess that this is to limit the mechanical stress at the soldered end and also at the capacitors end connections. Stress is created at these points when the PCB is flexed like when all the connections to the Xover are pressed into the terminal blocks. Solder joints are particularly vulnerable to this type of problem especially on single-sided PCB’s which your photograph appears to show.

Peter

with as many parts and resistors on these boards. I highly doubt they would try and save the cost of another resistor LOL! but I get your point. I am replacing the inductors only because I am keeping the stock crossover boards intact and building new boards to replace the stock boards with. same circuit. same values. just new board, new parts.

The caps have a plastic core with a hex hole in the middle for winding. each end is exposed and you can see the layers wound up with solder sputtered on each end and then the wire with the loop soldered on. a thin wrap over the winding. im sure this is pretty normal inside of some caps. but these are just caps i have never seen before. not sure of the brand??

The stock PCB is double sided and very thick. the top side is a large ground plane. the bottom has very crude etched traces.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.