Inductors, Trivial Or Major Improvment?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Inductors, Trivial Or Major Improvment??

are there major differences in brands of AIR CORE inductors in terms of sonics?

I am rebuilding the Crossovers for my Duntech Crown Prince speakers. keeping the same component values but upgrading the capacitors and resistors as suggested by Duntech AU. In fact i am building entirely new crossover boards and I am shopping the inductors at the moment and not finding a real large selection. Solen, Erse, Goretz seem to be the 3 major brands i see plus some no name brands.

Is there a large difference say between a Solen, Goretz and a stock Madisound inductor?? keeping the wire gauge as close as possible and keeping the values the same etc.

Zc
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No, as long as the inductance and resistance is the same. It's just a copper wire.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Major differences? No. All the brands you mention will work very well.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok great. that takes some pressure off!
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I mostly buy the Dayton coils 'cause I like the varnish color.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Goertz/Erse flat foil inductors have some good hype about them, I was considering them but wondered if they would be worth the extra expense.
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
are there major differences in brands of AIR CORE inductors in terms of sonics?

I am rebuilding the Crossovers for my Duntech Crown Prince speakers. keeping the same component values but upgrading the capacitors and resistors as suggested by Duntech AU. In fact i am building entirely new crossover boards and I am shopping the inductors at the moment and not finding a real large selection. Solen, Erse, Goretz seem to be the 3 major brands i see plus some no name brands.

Is there a large difference say between a Solen, Goretz and a stock Madisound inductor?? keeping the wire gauge as close as possible and keeping the values the same etc.

Zc
As long as the values and gauge are the same, there's no reason there would be any measurable or audible difference limited to "brand". The biggest difference you'll find is in DCR. Higher DCR will change bass tuning and should be factored into enclosure modelling.
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
The Goertz/Erse flat foil inductors have some good hype about them, I was considering them but wondered if they would be worth the extra expense.

It is just my gut based understanding, but wouldn't have flat flat foil inductors higher interwinding capacitance than round coil inductors? That's about the only electrical difference I can picture between the two types. The question then is whether higher interwinding capacitance is a good thing. Probably not.

vac
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

this is what I am rebuilding! they have the strangest capacitors i have ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossover.jpg (294.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 24th June 2012, 01:19 AM   #10
PLB is offline PLB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Zero Cool,

Please be aware that some reputable loudspeaker manufacturers use thin gauge wire in their inductors in order to achieve a specific series resistance, thus saving them the cost of a resistor. My advice would be to have the inductors measured and if their values are within tolerance, re-use them. In my experience, air cored inductors are ultra reliable components, unless they have been damaged in any way. On the other hand, there should be no problems with regards to changing the capacitors.
As for your capacitors appearing strange, I suspect that you may be referring to the loop of wire at the ends of each capacitor. If this is what you are referring to, I would guess that this is to limit the mechanical stress at the soldered end and also at the capacitors end connections. Stress is created at these points when the PCB is flexed like when all the connections to the Xover are pressed into the terminal blocks. Solder joints are particularly vulnerable to this type of problem especially on single-sided PCBs which your photograph appears to show.

Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!