Bohlender Graebener Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last year, one of our norwegian retailers started a range of ribbon units from Bohlender Graebener, but I have never had the chance to hear any of those............
Has someone been in "close contact" with some of these units, and with what results.....???
The price level is quite acceptable, but what about aound quality.??

I am quite happy with the Neo8, just try a search. Distortion measurements in German magazines Hobby Hifi and Klang und Ton were also very good.

Have a look at the trading post, CV is selling some Neo3-PDR drivers. I might also have some Neo8 that I don't need any more.

By the way, can you point me to the prices for Excel W18-W26 and Seas L18-L26 in Norway? I found the distributor, but understand to little of the language (Danish is easier to read!) to find the raw driver prices.

Regards,

Eric

All drivers have faults. Planar drivers are no different. It is just that they have different faults than domes and cones. The Neo 3s I tested were no different. What I measured and what I heard during testing was enough to place the Neo 3 into the "difficult to design for" basket. Not impossible, and with the right design they might sound great, but used "stock" they will have a sound of their own.

The 8s might test and sound different.

The tests were done at 1 meter, on-axis using an impulse as the test signal. Testing within a couple of degrees of on-axis did not change the results.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mark

The larger B&G planar RD series have a sonic signature very similar to that of Magnepans. This isn't unexpected given their construction

The little Neo 8's are fun but don't have a lot of output, so they work best in a line array. Unfortunately an array of them is almost the cost of the RD series model of equal height.

You might find this LINK helpful

Mark, was this the version with a faceplate and rear chamber? Was it the PDR or regular version?

A magazine here tested both the PDR-FP and the PDR-raw. The FP version had much more distortion and some nasties in the decay.

I am currently designing something with a 1 l, anechoic rear chamber...

Mark, was this the version with a faceplate and rear chamber? Was it the PDR or regular version?

Sorry, but this was the "raw" or "regular" version. The face plate and rear chamber version is designated "FP."

Within the boundaries of the testing window, the unit was mounted onto something approaching an infinite baffle. There are no cancellation or baffle step phenomena impacting the frequency response graphs. What I have provided are indications of just the driver's performance.

Mark

Hi,

Does anyone have distortion plots for the Neo8? The CSD is very good and I have had pretty good experience of them in a bookshelf I designed... but I am wondering if they would be suitable for a larger project that is more 'high-end'.

I thought someone posted some distortion measurements a fair while back in a very small picture file but I have not been able to find it again.

Does anyone have distortion plots for the Neo8?

Hi,

the Neo8 was tested some months ago on the italian Audioreview magazine.

I don't think I can post a scan of the measure due to copyright reasons.

I can tell you that it measured very good.
The distorsion plot was mostly well below 1% at a very high test level: 100dB SPL (7.94 Vrms).

It is definitely a component suitable for high-end systems.

You can take a look at this very interesting hi-end DIY project that uses both Neo8 and Neo3 (sorry it's in italian):

http://www.renatogiussani.it/varie/Delta_Tre_R6/Delta Tre R6.pdf

Tenson said:
Hi,

Does anyone have distortion plots for the Neo8? The CSD is very good and I have had pretty good experience of them in a bookshelf I designed... but I am wondering if they would be suitable for a larger project that is more 'high-end'.

I thought someone posted some distortion measurements a fair while back in a very small picture file but I have not been able to find it again.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=63279#post63279

Thanks Scott :) I don't think anyone actually mentioned the word 'distortion' in that thread lol, only 'disto'.

Perhaps this is as good a place as any to ask...

I am considering using the Neo8 as a midrange driver from somewhere like 500Hz - 'I don't know'.

On one hand I like the idea of using it as high as possible because it has exceptionally low colouration and wide bandwidth, but on the other hand I am concerned about the idea of an Xover where the drivers are not within a 1/2 wavelength of each other.

In your experience (anyone out there!) how much of an issue is that? I notice a lot of people do Xover higher than the 1/2 wavelength rule suggests - anything over about 2KHz is usually 'too high' for this guide. A high order Xover would help but is it enough? And are the extra Xover components worth the advantage?

Edit: and to add another question to the pot, if I were to Xover at 500Hz how many Neo8's do you think I would need per speaker to get decent high SPL's without distortion? 4? 6? 8? At a pinch I can get 6 in there but 4 is nicer astatically and probably baffle diffraction-wise.

A lot to talk about here!

I don't think the wavelength/combing problem will be evident with a planar like the Neo 8.. In effect acoustic "center" spans virtually all of the radiating surface for most freq.s. Additionally, as freq.s increase vertical directivity will increase (i.e. be more directive).

Moving beyond 2 drivers effectivly requires going with a linesource down to your required low freq. cut-off for the line vs. your average listening distance. So it isn't so much about distortion as it is about spl on axis for a given distance. Additional drivers do of course allow for lower non-linear distortion as well.. but thats secondary.

page 8 figure 5:

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/pdf/nflawp.pdf

For a 3 meter listening distance at 500 Hz you'll need at least a 2 meter line of Neo 8's.

Thanks for the PDF I will have a detailed read of it later on.

I think you misunderstood my concern though. What I meant was with regards to an Xover from the Neo8 to another tweeter since the Neo8 has a poor upper frequency response. If I had a line of smaller isoplanar tweeters (like Hi-Vi) down beside the Neo8s and an Xover @ 7KHz I would not be within ½ wavelength of the Neo8s horizontally.

Okay I have had a bit of a design brainwave and figured out how to Xover nice and high with no problems.

I actually want to avoid line source behaviour for various reasons. I just wrote an explanation of what I am thinking of but it was very hard to write down and have it make any sense… so I’ll explain it if and when I actually get it to work!

So, the only thing I need to know is SPL vs distortion wise, how many Neo8s are needed for a 500Hz Xover (forgetting about keeping line source behaviour)? I usually mark 110dB as my Max SPL target with 1 - 2% THD.

Thanks peeps!

Tenson said:
I think you misunderstood my concern though. What I meant was with regards to an Xover from the Neo8 to another tweeter since the Neo8 has a poor upper frequency response. If I had a line of smaller isoplanar tweeters (like Hi-Vi) down beside the Neo8s and an Xover @ 7KHz I would not be within ½ wavelength of the Neo8s horizontally.

Ah.. to a super tweeter..;)

Horizontally at 7 kHz, prob. not. (around 2 inch wavelength at 7 kHz.)

4.5 kHz is almost exactly 3 inches.

Here are some less expensive HiVi like tweeters that could possibly take the "trimming" from the sides of the front plate:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=53-840&info=specs

Tenson said:
Okay I have had a bit of a design brainwave and figured out how to Xover nice and high with no problems.

I actually want to avoid line source behaviour for various reasons. I just wrote an explanation of what I am thinking of but it was very hard to write down and have it make any sense… so I’ll explain it if and when I actually get it to work!

So, the only thing I need to know is SPL vs distortion wise, how many Neo8s are needed for a 500Hz Xover (forgetting about keeping line source behaviour)? I usually mark 110dB as my Max SPL target with 1 - 2% THD.

Thanks peeps!

Avoiding line source behaviour effectivly requires keeping it to a minimum of 2 drivers.

If you want to drive it this low and keep distortion low consider these two things:

1. have a VERY steep cut-off high pass above the driver's resonance.
2. horn load the driver.

Note that horn-loading the driver (via waveguide) could well provide a more linear on-axis freq. response than what the driver currently provides, AND offer lower non-linear distortion, AND retain a point-source character (excepting the top octave).

Hi,

I remember there was a speaker that used 2 Neo8's with a Neo3 between them, all stacked vertically. That was all in a panel that was sitting on top of a bass section.

Can anyone remember what this speaker was? I can't find it anymore. I thought it was GR Research but its not on their site. The speaker in the picture I remember was silver I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.