Bohlender Graebener Ribbons - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2003, 12:41 PM   #1
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Question Bohlender Graebener Ribbons

Last year, one of our norwegian retailers started a range of ribbon units from Bohlender Graebener, but I have never had the chance to hear any of those............
Has someone been in "close contact" with some of these units, and with what results.....???
The price level is quite acceptable, but what about aound quality.??
Old 14th October 2003, 01:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am quite happy with the Neo8, just try a search. Distortion measurements in German magazines Hobby Hifi and Klang und Ton were also very good.

Have a look at the trading post, CV is selling some Neo3-PDR drivers. I might also have some Neo8 that I don't need any more.

By the way, can you point me to the prices for Excel W18-W26 and Seas L18-L26 in Norway? I found the distributor, but understand to little of the language (Danish is easier to read!) to find the raw driver prices.

Regards,

Eric
Old 14th October 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply...
W18 is NOK1540 each, the W26, is NOK2650 1 is appx NOK8,40 these days...

L18- NOK 780, L21RNX -NOK 780, L26- NOK1289....

All incl. VAT at 24 %, which normally should be export deductible........

This is the link to the prices:
http://www.mamut.com/homepages/Norwa...l/prodlist.htm

The prod.list is along the left side,- Seas far low...
Old 14th October 2003, 06:50 PM   #4
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

All drivers have faults. Planar drivers are no different. It is just that they have different faults than domes and cones. The Neo 3s I tested were no different. What I measured and what I heard during testing was enough to place the Neo 3 into the "difficult to design for" basket. Not impossible, and with the right design they might sound great, but used "stock" they will have a sound of their own.

The 8s might test and sound different.

The tests were done at 1 meter, on-axis using an impulse as the test signal. Testing within a couple of degrees of on-axis did not change the results.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mark
Old 14th October 2003, 10:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The larger B&G planar RD series have a sonic signature very similar to that of Magnepans. This isn't unexpected given their construction

The little Neo 8's are fun but don't have a lot of output, so they work best in a line array. Unfortunately an array of them is almost the cost of the RD series model of equal height.

You might find this LINK helpful
Old 15th October 2003, 09:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mark, was this the version with a faceplate and rear chamber? Was it the PDR or regular version?

A magazine here tested both the PDR-FP and the PDR-raw. The FP version had much more distortion and some nasties in the decay.

I am currently designing something with a 1 l, anechoic rear chamber...
Old 15th October 2003, 02:51 PM   #7
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mark, was this the version with a faceplate and rear chamber? Was it the PDR or regular version?
Sorry, but this was the "raw" or "regular" version. The face plate and rear chamber version is designated "FP."

Within the boundaries of the testing window, the unit was mounted onto something approaching an infinite baffle. There are no cancellation or baffle step phenomena impacting the frequency response graphs. What I have provided are indications of just the driver's performance.

Mark
Old 15th October 2003, 09:55 PM   #8
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Living with the Neo 8

I have been listening to them for about a year. They are great. And I would highly reccomend them. The only caveat is look on the bg website and pay close attention to the notch filter and use it. If you want to modifythe filter find out how they work and play. But overall for the money they are hard to beat.

Mark
Old 14th December 2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Does anyone have distortion plots for the Neo8? The CSD is very good and I have had pretty good experience of them in a bookshelf I designed... but I am wondering if they would be suitable for a larger project that is more 'high-end'.

I thought someone posted some distortion measurements a fair while back in a very small picture file but I have not been able to find it again.
Old 14th December 2006, 10:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does anyone have distortion plots for the Neo8?
Hi,

the Neo8 was tested some months ago on the italian Audioreview magazine.

I don't think I can post a scan of the measure due to copyright reasons.

I can tell you that it measured very good.
The distorsion plot was mostly well below 1% at a very high test level: 100dB SPL (7.94 Vrms).

It is definitely a component suitable for high-end systems.

You can take a look at this very interesting hi-end DIY project that uses both Neo8 and Neo3 (sorry it's in italian):

http://www.renatogiussani.it/varie/D...20Tre%20R6.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!