Crossover frequency/order question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ny
Default mixed order crossovers

Eric, when you say mixed order crossovers I assume you mean that for different xo points not at the same xo point. correct? I wouldn't have a HP 2nd order at 350hz and a 1st order LP at 350hz?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
jerome69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
I think I will start with only one mid. thanks.
I never designed a notch filter though. link?
CalcTool: RLC or LC circuit calculator
RLC series.
L = 0.22 mH
C = 3.3 uF
R = 0
F =6kHz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:23 PM   #13
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
I have or can get most of this info. However Dayton
doesn't publish frequency response curves .
Hi, They do. http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/295-368s.pdf rgds, sreten.
__________________
There is nothing so practical as a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 05:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ny
Default Breaking up is hard to do!

Whoa!!!

Had i seen that strange behavior past 1khz I may not have purchased this woofer!! looking at that spec makes my mids look pretty good!!

Ok so it looks like I definitely need a 2nd order (or more?) filter. the other alternative is Jerome posted a notch filter for me. So i could go first order with a notch. Trial the 6 1/2 mid on its own baffle and if it doesn't work get another driver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:11 PM   #15
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Black Forest, CO
Send a message via AIM to mdocod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
Eric, when you say mixed order crossovers I assume you mean that for different xo points not at the same xo point. correct? I wouldn't have a HP 2nd order at 350hz and a 1st order LP at 350hz?
Mixed order means that you may very well have a high pass and low pass targeting the same "x-over frequency" that are different order slopes electrically, in order to produce symmetrical slopes, in phase, acoustically.

Eric
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ny
Default Old Dog learning old tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
Mixed order means that you may very well have a high pass and low pass targeting the same "x-over frequency" that are different order slopes electrically, in order to produce symmetrical slopes, in phase, acoustically.

Eric
Great. When designing I sometimes needed to do that but for some reason I thought it was taboo. OK so put a steep slope on the Rs270 and a shallow one on the Dynaudios. Sent you PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
mondogenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: City Of Villans
Blog Entries: 1
if you pick a big enough '1st order' coil to roll off the response slightly, around youre 6dB rate, you can always add a notch filter higher up, or maybe just a capacitor?

You should be able to get a drooping curve, with a breakpoint, after which it rolls off at a faster rate.

There are free crossover simulators, and other things around the internet. Others here far more than I about them, so perhaps someone can recommend?
__________________
Every new piece of knowledge pushes something else out of my brain - Homer.....................Simpson
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Also checkout

Why 2nd Order Is best or not

Gentle Cue
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ny
Default series-parallel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
CalcTool: RLC or LC circuit calculator
RLC series.
L = 0.22 mH
C = 3.3 uF
R = 0
F =6kHz.
Is that series or parallel. So this is centered around 6khz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
DBMandrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones View Post
Great. When designing I sometimes needed to do that but for some reason I thought it was taboo.
It's not only not taboo, it's extremely common, and pretty much necessary if you don't have driver acoustic centres aligned and expect any sort of decent phase tracking through the overlap region...
__________________
- Simon
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about tweeter polarity 2nd order crossover reveonss Multi-Way 17 6th April 2014 11:12 PM
Frequency range/ crossover question Fred75 Multi-Way 15 2nd February 2008 07:04 PM
first order crossover question MisterTwister Multi-Way 3 9th June 2007 11:03 AM
Crossover Frequency Question Decado Multi-Way 5 28th July 2005 04:13 AM
Crossover order and phase question Westrock2000 Multi-Way 36 31st March 2003 07:00 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2