Gentle Cue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to persue the concept of a gentle cue here, hopefully wonderful things will be discussed here.

My phone has crappy speakers, so I exploited the concept of a horn and threw, the phone into a juice cup with the speaker at the bottom of the cup. Suddenly sounds that I could only hear when the phone was against my ear filled the room.

I plan to persue the concept of a gentle cue here, hopefully wonderful things will be discussed here.

My phone has crappy speakers, so I exploited the concept of a horn and threw, the phone into a juice cup with the speaker at the bottom of the cup. Suddenly sounds that I could only hear when the phone was against my ear filled the room.

Have you tried various shapes of cup; i.e., exponential area increase vs. hyperbolic vs. Tractrix etc.?

Hey , where's the multi way ???:magnify:

One or two months ago , I was amazed by the sound of
the speaker from a (cell) phone . Very rich in high freq .
And I started to seek over the web for those little (SMD ! ) speakers
As I thought they would be good tweeters for low power applications .

Indeed , I build a 3 way for 10 W MIL ( max input level)
but forgot about the cell phones .

Ok , nothing to do with horns :p

Can you spot horns ?

Does this design exploit horns or not ?

Attachments

• kef-muon-loudspeakers.gif
    kef-muon-loudspeakers.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 362
Now you are splitting the definition between a horn and a waveguide as the terms are in common use. I might say the tweeter is in a wavegiude. Others would say horn loaded.

So, how do you get speakers to come with accessories like that? Best I ever got were some silver banana plugs.

I am not saying that horns are the only way to achieve a gentle cue, but rather propose here that they are just one element of achieving that gentle cue.

Note that the mid, hf driver and bafflestep correction woofers in the KEF are mouted at the throat of the horns. Each driver depending on its placement then behaves as part of the horn mouth.

Last edited:
The gentle cue is not just about hearing all the details and nuances in a recording, its also about recovering the original sound and its propagation characteristics. The gentle cue is the real thing.

I have suggested that a system that is able to mimic the original sound sources, while blending both the recording environment and the listening environment may have to use multiple combined techniques in speaker design.

When we record sound we do so at specific points in space and time, thus the sound has only true identity within this small window, thus the difference between headphone sound and sound from speakers. This is just one element of the whole issue of the gentle cue.

Last edited:
You have heard of dog whisperers, horse whisperers and even cow whisperers ;) . The gentle cue involves constructing speakers that whisper to the sound on its true identity:D

If you have a recording of a little dog barking. Whether your eyes are open or closed, you mind should register that there is a little dog barking and not a recorded little dog barking.

Last edited:
Does this design [KEF Muon] exploit horns or not ?

No, it does not.

Measure the impedance of the tweeter in the Uni-Q and in free-air, and the differences you'll find will be de minimis.

It does, however, use a waveguide (the midrange cone) to control the tweeter's directivity down low, and provide some gain to allow the small, small-chambered tweeter to play low enough to match the midrange's directivity in the crossover region without lots of strain.

As for the cabinet, it looks like it's designed to minimize diffraction (except for the blunt baffle/top transition) but that doesn't make it a "horn."

PS: beyond that, I'm with sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.