What is most important when choosing driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2012, 01:25 AM   #11
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

When you say from scratch, do you mean to learn to design a speaker system, or you want to build an established design rather than assemble a kit?

Do you have any engineering background, but just not in speakers? ( would you understand what the S-plane is?)

Or do you just have a good ear and am ready to go insane like the rest of us? Either is fine, but it helps in what advice you should go looking for.

Don't waste big money on expensive drivers. Get half decent cheap ones and LEARN what to do with them. Zaph helps a lot in that. There are $1000 speakers out there with $10 tweeters.

Don't even have the slightest thoughts about something more complex than a two way.

Download WinISD and play with box parameters for different woofers. If you read Joe DeAppolito's book, you will understand what these parameters mean. If you have the technical background, read Linkwitz's WEB.

Build something. Listen carefully. Think. Make a change and think about what you heard. Think some more and make another change. Keep a notebook. Change only one thing at a time.

You might start with a well documented design so you have measurements and just focus on the crossover a few dozen times. Learn to listen, learn to measure.
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:16 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

"Don't waste big money on expensive drivers. Get half decent cheap ones and LEARN what to do with them. Zaph helps a lot in that. There are $1000 speakers out there with $10 tweeters."

Agreed, and don't spend too much time worrying about super low non-linear distortion (provided it's not a complete train wreck), smooth frequency response is more important.

Wide band soft cone drivers are easier to work with and are much easier for a beginner to get right. I wouldnt recommend hard coned drivers, or cones with a strong breakup of any sort for a first design.

Something like a Peerless HDS midwoofer with Dayton RS28F tweeter would be a perfect first project, with good enough drivers to compete with most any 2-way out there.

Last edited by samadhi; 22nd June 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

tvrgeek, I have some engineering knowledge and I do not plan to use expensive drivers. I do not want to build an established design. Looking for a 2-way, yes.
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:29 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

What's your max budget for the drivers?
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think I will use seas ca18rly as woofer.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Looks like a nice driver.
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

And for tweeter: Seas 27TFF
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hey Starre, that's close to the combo I'm using for my next 2 way, CA18RLY (Nice sounding driver) + 22TFF (yet to receive these), I think this combo will make easy to crossover & good sounding, excellent value speakers.
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:42 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Interesting PeteMcK, I think the same, good value and easy to work with. Not decided if using sealed or BR box though...
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:55 PM   #20
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

What is most important when choosing driver?

funny, I change opinion every time I think about it

Hide this!Advertise here!