increasing output/decreasing distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to get everyone's openion on what they think about stacking identical drivers in a 2- or 3- way system instead of going to a 4- or 5- way system, and using many different drivers and more crossovers. Without reguard to the economics, would something that resemble a short line array be worthwile to think about, due to simplicity of design, and less crossover distortion?

I keep on reading over Mr. Linkwitz's notes, and I think I am begining to understand the following obvious fact: The only requirement there is, is to provide for 8 times the linear displacement for every halving of the frequency (4 times for monopoles). Wather this is achieved by many identical drivers or different drivers only depends on how you want to control the lobing, how many crossovers you want to use, and how much money you want to waste... Linear displacement here simply means linear max excursion times the radiating surface area. Basically if you use many identical drivers, you are WAY overbuilding the mid and hi frequency capability to have just enough of the lows... Well, this is the theory anyway. It appears that Mr. Linkwitz uses this theory extensively for his designs. I am qureous if anyone else has done this for other 3-way, high output designs (I really want to avoid 4-way if I can help it).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.