The silk purse project: a musical studio monitor ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2012, 12:23 AM   #1
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default The silk purse project: a musical studio monitor ...

This is a continuation of an exercise, the progress of which was commented on, on another forum up to this point, but now that forum is unavailable to me. So to keep the ball rolling, and maintain the energy, I'll keep company with you good folks!

The idea is simple, and done by many people to some degree: a decent active studio monitor, cheap to buy, but handicapped by cost cutting to get the product out there, and a lack of understanding of the subtle factors that cripple the potential sound quality, will be upgraded, tweaked to get the full, generous audio sound that the drivers and internal amps are intrinsically capable of delivering.

I've been doing this type of re-engineering for over 25 years, and have learnt a lot along the way, the most important thing being that bargain basement equipment is capable of producing rich, realistic, convincing sound if the right steps are taken ...

'Nuff for now ...

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by fas42; 19th June 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: That strange link was just a measly little smilie, not sure what happened ...

Old 19th June 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You posted some very long, strange link to your image. It didn't work. Please use the "Attach" function instead.

Old 19th June 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Which sow's ear are you going to be, um, polishing...?

Old 19th June 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
'Nuff for now ...
Hi,

A load of fanciful claims and no substance doesn't add up to anything.

rgds, sreten.

Old 20th June 2012, 12:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay, a bit more on what this is all about: the title of the thread is just a bit of a poke at what some people may think of studio monitors - all well and good as a tool for "monitoring", hah, progress on a recording project, but not the first choice for pleasurable listening to an album collection. Well, I'm one of those strange people who have unusual, and controversial, ideas on what can be achieved in audio reproduction, the core of which is that a much higher standard of sound quality can be achieved then is normally realised; even with what is considered very modest equipment.

That's the silk purse part, what's with the "musical" tag? Well, many debates and slanging matches can be found on audio forums on how if a system is highly "revealing", which is what studio monitors are supposed to be all about, then they haven't much chance of sounding "nice", being enjoyable to listen to, as a mechanism for reproducing music.

So, an extra part of my "weirdness" is that I believe you can get both truth (there's a clue ... ) and tonality in one package, which means, amazingly enough , that it sounds like the "real thing", you can be fooled into thinking that you're listening to the real deal very easily.

I've achieved various versions of that over the years, so now the task is to do the same with a standard active monitor, one of the better low cost items on the market. Like all reasonable monitors it can go to the red line, overload levels, without falling to pieces but it doesn't sound "big" doing it, because of various limitations. This "size of sound" normally mean this size of monitor is called, and used as, a near field device, it serves as a set of oversized headphones. But this restriction is not fixed, the limitations can be overcome, and the sound can become room filling, and all the other myriad adjectives used to describe "good" sound.

Frank

Old 20th June 2012, 12:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

A load of fanciful claims and no substance doesn't add up to anything.

rgds, sreten.
The "substance" is what I've achieved to date, fooling around with other gear. So I know what can be done, in simple terms, achieving decent, not stupid, PA levels of intensity of sound, while still retaining, projecting the quality aspect.

The key part of the battle is attention to detail, where the devil is, of course. Trite, yes, but unfortunately true -- unless every, and I repeat, every issue is addressed then you won't achieve the "right" result, it will fall well short.

Frank

Old 20th June 2012, 01:32 AM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

If you would please post an image of what you are talking about, as the moderator asked, perhaps there could be some fruitful discussion of whatever it is that you are referring to in your post.

Whatever it is, it's completely unclear to anyone reading it.

Thanks,

_-_-bear

Old 20th June 2012, 01:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

troll or newbie, hard to say but time may tell. Off to other things we go...

Old 20th June 2012, 02:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, at the moment it looks like it's a non-starter, after that cheery round of greetings ...

You want a photo? Wander down to your nearest pro music shop, take a snap of a near field monitor, any one of them and plonk it down in front of you -- 'cause that's exactly what it looks like to me at the moment.

Geez, "concept" seems to be such a difficult concept for people to handle ...

I agree, this is just going to be a big waste of time, pearls and all that sort of thing, I'm outta here ...

Cheers,
Frank

Old 20th June 2012, 03:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

What was all that about? Optimizing an off-the-shelf near-field monitor?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!