Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 06:27 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
So, here is the filter schematic:
Attachment 287985

High frequencies are going to short your amp through the woofer low pass. You really ought to address that, it's dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
Soldier on Henkjan. The sharks are out and your wearing tuna flavored shorts!
I think people are trying to help him.
Old 20th July 2012, 07:38 PM   #32
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
High frequencies are going to short your amp through the woofer low pass. You really ought to address that, it's dangerous.
thanks. acc to the sim that would only be at very high frequencies, since the impedance stays above 3ohm until >20kHz. But to be sure, I've added a 15ohm resistor in series with the small cap, that should fix that and still keep the function of it:
Trio CSS - filter schema.png

Quote:
I think people are trying to help him.
I know, and that is also how it feels (and it is appreciated as well), but it's just odd that I got less response on the speaker than on the measurements.
Old 20th July 2012, 07:48 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

15 is probably tons. I'd even say 2ohms is enough.

I thought it would be quite high in frequency, but you never know if you get some weird stray high frequency in the recording, it could be up where impedance is down around a short.

Nice speaker
Old 21st July 2012, 01:29 AM   #34
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post

I know, and that is also how it feels (and it is appreciated as well), but it's just odd that I got less response on the speaker than on the measurements.
Well you supplied measurements like they were important to the final design (which they should be) then it suddenly becomes a moot point? Sorry but I don't understand what it is you are looking for in a response. Any chance of measurements of the final product?
Old 21st July 2012, 09:51 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
15 is probably tons. I'd even say 2ohms is enough
probaly, but with 15 it will be ~4ohm for upto 30kHz and the effectiveness in suppressing the resonance is about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
Well you supplied measurements like they were important to the final design (which they should be) then it suddenly becomes a moot point? Sorry but I don't understand what it is you are looking for in a response. Any chance of measurements of the final product?
it's not a moot point, just expected also responses on e.g. the filter, nothing more. Measurements are important, and comments on those are more than welcome (that's why I post on a forum). I will make final measurements of the complete box when I have the final filter in place, with the current filter (see post #19) it is close to impossible to move the thing.
Old 21st July 2012, 02:28 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

As for measurements, I think issue is that your using GP even at high frequencies. So there is a reflection between the floor and the mic. I personally use GP and near field to about 200hz and then go with a gated measurement above 200hz. 200hz isn't a hard a fast number, it depends on things.

I'm pretty sure Joseph D'Appoliti teach it this way in Testing Loudspeakers which you mentioned. But I could be wrong. I haven't rear that part in a while.
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:40 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I used a gated measurement (Arta) for the entire range, so from 50Hz up. I chose the gate based on what I saw in the impulse response, which resulted in the 50Hz. Maybe there was a small early reflection that I did not notice well enough on the screen that caused the graphs to be not as smooth as the could have been?
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:31 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

The mic is about 1cm from the nearest reflection. So you would not see that in the IR. 1cm is insignificant at 100hz, but not at 5khz.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:44 PM   #39
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Yep lots of reflections.

The tilt and two meter measurement distance is good for the low end. But the stand raising it off of the floor makes for some serious measurement reflections.

Shows up in your response graphs. Happens to all of us Henkjan.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:47 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The mic is about 1cm from the nearest reflection. So you would not see that in the IR. 1cm is insignificant at 100hz, but not at 5khz.
mic is somewhat off the floor due to the shape of the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
....But the stand raising it off of the floor makes for some serious measurement reflections.
why would that be if the mic is on the floor?

Hide this!Advertise here!