all CSS heavyweight compact 3way - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

the idea is that the mic is on the floor and therefore "sees" 2 speakers mirrored If I had put the speaker on the floor, the baffle step would not have been the same as with the speaker on a stand; raising the LOT 'decouples' the two mirror images (see also the book by Joe d'A)
Old 17th June 2012, 07:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

As far as I was aware you need to get the speaker quite a distance off of the floor for this to work properly. Also your measurements certainly don't look like ones that are free from unwanted artefacts.
Old 17th June 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since the drivers are better than average, I wanted to put more than average effort in building the cabinet.
How come you didn`t round over the edges?
Old 17th June 2012, 07:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
As far as I was aware you need to get the speaker quite a distance off of the floor for this to work properly.
the impuls looks clean, I used a gated measurement to keep reflections out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
How come you didn`t round over the edges?
a) to have any effct they need to be rather large and b) I want to veneer them which asks for sharp edges.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
Its quite strange how jagged those measurements are then, especially below the frequency of any cone breakup the response should really be pretty smooth.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post

a) to have any effct they need to be rather large
Eh. While larger roundovers are better, I think this:

MurphyBlaster Productions

disproves that.

Quote:
and b) I want to veneer them which asks for sharp edges.
You can still do a veneer with a roundover. For example:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Its quite strange how jagged those measurements are then, especially below the frequency of any cone breakup the response should really be pretty smooth.
they are not smoothed, as you usually see. this is the same measurement with the usual 1/3 octave smoothed:
mid smoothed.png
Old 17th June 2012, 08:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
You can still do a veneer with a roundover.
yes yes, the fact that it can be done, does not mean that that is my choice for this box... My starting point was a 3way with a classic look, and that means boxy, square, with the disadvantage of more diffraction than rounded of chamfered edges. But is has the added advantage that a lot more will be able to build this design successfully than if it had rounded edges etc.

btw: If I sound grumpy, that has nothing to do with the responses nor with the EC footbal ... I'm happy with all reactions, keep 'm coming. but just don't expect changes to what is already built
Old 17th June 2012, 09:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
The main challenge in the filter design will be the square baffle induced diffraction hump and sink between 1 and 2kHz that is present in both the tweeter and mid curve.
so here we go with the filter. this is the current state of it:
test filter.jpg

I wanted to use the VWR126X from somewhere 200Hz upwards, to benefit from its very low distortion there. I did not want to fix any filter slopes, just the end result would count. after a few iterations there was a filter layout with basically 2nd order electric slopes on all x-overs, with a extra RCL in the mid LP part that will both flatten the hump and somewhat fill in the dip in the 1-2kHz area. That on-axis the dip is still there is not a problem, since under angles it disappeared. The main thing was that the phases of the tweet and the mid are equal over ~3 octaves. With some tweaking (shunt RCL in the tweet HP to suppress the diffraction bump, small C over the series L in both mid and woof to suppress the sharp peaks at both drivers top end) the filtered curves are nice and smooth in the passband down to -40dB.
response en fase met midfilter v2a hoog v2a laag v2a.png
Old 17th June 2012, 09:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

A sports hall is a very eco'ey enviroment... wouldnt you be better of at the top of a hill... or at least in a hot air balloon.

and if that probably isnt possable, surely halfspace in a field is more accurate than a hall that bounces sound around as efficently as a basket ball

Last edited by WaVeInFoRm; 17th June 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: bad spelling as usall

Hide this!Advertise here!