rookie trying newly built speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may be a dumb question but......I just finished building my first set of speakers ( a small ported 2way) and I am wondering if there is any potential of damaging my amp if I have done something incorrect (specfically in the crossover design.)

Thanks for you help

Hook an ohm meter up to the terminals before you plug it into the amp. If its significantly less than four ohms you are sure to damage something. ;) If you dont have an ohm-meter, plug a small AA battery to the speaker, + to + and - to -. If the woofer makes a pop sound and moves outward until you disconnect it, then everything is fine. If it moves inward when u connect it, you have the polarity backwards (either on the woofer or the battery). If nothing happens (or the battery gets HOT!), definately do not plug the speaker into the amp.

You can see if the tweeter is working by listening for a "click" from it when u connect or disconnect the battery. You cannot determine the polarity of the tweeter using this method.

This is a good way of testing a speaker to see if it works and also to check polarity of the woofer at the same time.

Good luck!

I highly doubt smoke will result from a AA battery!!! A 4 ohm speaker will dissipate 0.5 w, and an 8 ohm will take about a quarter watt. Unless you are testing a clock radio speaker (which would probably be ok) there is no harm possible by FAR.

Samuel Jayaraj said:
If the speakers have relatively small voice coils (low wattage types), the DC voltage will cause not only a pop but also smoke! This way of checking speakers is cheap but the connection to the battery should be made momentarily, not continuously.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.