Looking for thoughts and advice on some old cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have these 2 custom built cabinets with 15" woofer (EV logo on dust cone), There's a vertically mounted midrange horn to one side and a tweeter horn next to it and on the back rear hookup panel spring loaded clips and two toggle switches with Speakerlab on the plate. (midrange and tweeter db adjustments)
I haven't hooked them up yet because I need to move them here and put them somewhere to get a better look inside....they're big and they're heavy roughly 36"+H x 24"+W x 18"+D.
I'll need a handtruck...There too big and heavy for me to just pickup by myself!
They've been sitting in storage for a long time.
So I'm looking for any suggestions or advice as to what to do with these beasts before I dig into them.
Are they worth fixing up or maybe putting the components into a new better cabinet, maybe new crossovers??...etc etc.
I think the woofer is screwed into the baffle from the front but the horns have silicon goop holding them in.
I've read a few threads here about Speakerlab DIY and the silicon glue so I'm guessing these are partly DIY Speakerlab.
When I get them in here and a chance to test and open them up better I will post some pictures...
Thanks for any comments!

It sounds like the typical high end EV load for DIY speakers. Most likely the EV SP15 woofer, 8HD midrange horn with T25 compression driver, and T35 horn tweeter. EV sold that set up for a number of years. When it is hitting on all 8 cylinders, they sound pretty darn good. Maybe not up to today's standards, but good non the less. I don't know about the Speakerlab plate. Maybe the guy used SL crossovers. With any luck you will find 2 gray boxes in each cabinet. 1 marked X36 (crossover between the mid and tweet) and X8 (crossover between wood and mid)

Best to open them up and post pix so those in the know will be able to help more better!

Thanks for the reply djn, I'm picking them up tomorrow so I should have some time tomorrow evening to try them out and maybe even open them up. I'll take some photos and post them here.
I did find some photos of Speakerlab 7's online that look like the mid horn and tweeter but they used two small woofers and there's no question the 15" was EV.

Well long day, still up...but I got them home here safe and sound!
Took some dimensions, hooked them up and took some pics!

Overall they are 32"H x 22"W x 14"D. 3/4" plywood with another 3/8" particle board wrapped around that...One box is missing the top section of particle board. The particle board is covered with some woodgrain veneer plastic or vinyl.
Each box has a tube port 3"dia x 6-1/2"D.

"Speakerlab7" crossovers with 2 toggle switches for midrange horn and tweeter horn....3 position switches for each -0db/-2db/-4db.
The midrange horn isn't working on either box....tried the switches and nothing..so whatever it is it's something common in both boxes. They are mounted horizontally.
The tweeter horn works fine mounted vertically and the EV woofer works fine.
I'm going to take the woofers out tomorrow and see if I can see something wrong....Crossover cap maybe?....hopefully not the drivers?...
I'm pretty excited to see what the drivers actually are now. They are in perfect condition. The horns are silicon glued in place, the woofers are screwed and siliconed in place!?!?
Hopefully I can get those out to get inside...the back looks like it's "coned" in place too!
Now to see if I can upload the pics!..

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 105
Got the backs off and found loose resistors laying in the bottom of both cabinets that had come off the crossovers. Midrange horn wasn't working when I first fired them up. Repaired the crossovers and everything seems to work again.
The EV were EVM-15B, mid horn driver was SpeakerLab WA750 and the tweeter horn was SpeakerLab HT3500. Sounds really good especially at loud levels...
Any thoughts or comments on any improvements?

EV-SL

If you are very patient and tolerant you might look into the horn vs waveguide threads. Back in the mid 80s I replaced the mid horn with a pair of Audax 7" mids MTM'd around the EV tweeter since the old mid was nasty at best. With active filters dealing with level issues the result was LOUD and CLEAN.

Thanks for the comment phivates....Yeah the tweeters are loud and seem to be louder than either the EV or midrange. They all sure sound good though....
I think the drivers are good and maybe the best thing would be better crossovers and use Lpads instead of the resistor networks and switches. I'm not hearing much change using the pad switches on the back and all the power resistors across those toggle switches is a real mess.
They sound good but I'm sure they could be improved on with new crossovers because they're like 30years old!....I'm sure the electrolytic caps in there at the least should be replaced.
I would even think the EV15 could be crossed over higher than 700Hz with these current drivers. The crossovers were also designed for two woofers in parallel and these only have the one 8 ohm woofer!....so there may be a 4ohm low pass when I only need 8 ohm.
The other thing is the mid is a 16ohm driver, so I don't know if that makes for a tricky bandpass network or not...the mid horns and woofer aren't being pushed very hard until you crank them up and then they really let loose...being a bass guitar driver and 400W I'm sure it could be better implemented with the right crossovers....
I'm a little confused on how to go about finding the right crossovers so any suggestions would be appreciated...i.e crossover points, calculators, boards to buy or build, caps,,,,etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.