3.5 way speaker design, should I put the woofers together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sorry, but this simply isn't so.

You could use the same argument to "show" that a midbass in a small cabinet would also have modulation issues in the midrange.

Remember each bass driver would "see" half the cabinet volume, as, being identical, they'll each pressurise their own half of the cabinet exactly.
Imagine there is a dividing wall between the two chambers. When the woofers move, they each press on the wall. They have moved the same amount and occupy an equal volume of air to each other, so the pressure on the dividing wall must be the same on both sides. The forces cancel exactly and there's no movement of the wall because of this.
So if the wall does not experience any net force, why bother with it?

Doing without will yield the same results (so long as the cabinet is otherwise mechanically braced).

Chris

Sorry Chris. Utterly wrong reasoning from YOU. These bass drivers are operating on separate filters so it's really a matter of opinion what is going to work best. One is rolling off at 200Hz with inevitable phase shift. The other is going up to 1kHz in flyingtele's plan

This is not your usual parallel woofer arrangement if you read the first post.

[sarcasm]BTW, thanks for squashing my much more INTERESTING post about domes. I really wonder why I bother sometimes. [/sarcasm] :mad:

Clearly, you don't understand that I fully comprehend the situation.

What the OP is creating is an acoustical clipper/compressor.

The mid-range voicing will be heavily influenced by the pressure of the bass. These are not balanced pressures cancelling each other.
In this case the box dampening the mid-range frequencies "sees" fluctuates wildly, much more then a typical scenario.

Here's an experiment for you, put a 3"speaker and a 12" woofer in a sealed box, crank it up.
Notice now how the 3" speakers cone is now torn apart? -Pressure imbalance.

This will be the force that effects the voicing of the mid-range frequencies.

Clearly, you don't understand that I fully comprehend the situation.

What the OP is creating is an acoustical clipper/compressor.

The mid-range voicing will be heavily influenced by the pressure of the bass. These are not balanced pressures cancelling each other.
In this case the box dampening the mid-range frequencies "sees" fluctuates wildly, much more then a typical scenario.

Here's an experiment for you, put a 3"speaker and a 12" woofer in a sealed box, crank it up.

Alvis, you do realize these are equal size speakers putting out equal amounts of bass?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

no, its a 2.5way principle converted to a 3.5way
some say one of the two similar woofers is operating in 0.5way, because its crossed lower/earlier than its upper 'mate' woofer

whats special about it ?
its a known and well documented principle

btw, I think JacgueMahul presented the first commercial one in a small Focal tower speaker with 2x 5" and a tweeter
and we all thought, what the hell is the guy doing
looked weird and strange
some of the more skilled said, that cant work at all
but it tested really well
so ofcourse it got some 'attention'

and here are some 30 years later, and still have no idea how it works :eek::D

Utterly dull and pointless debate going on here.

FWIW, it's blatantly obvious that you chamber the two woofers separately. :cool:

Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

This allows you to reflex the subwoofer in a bigger box for good bass. The top woofer is in a smaller box that controls its cone movement and distortion better.

I'd rather talk about midrange domes. A good topic, IMO.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

why would I do that :crazy:

woofer and mid is the exact same driver here, and both playing the exact same bass
if you calculate a box, you will get the same result for both

the different impedance of the different xo inductors might influence the result a bit
but I doubt it will enough to make significant difference

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
FWIW, it's blatantly obvious that you chamber the two woofers separately. :cool:

no its not, but it certainly wont hurt either :D

maybe seperate chambers does give a very small improvement
and it does give more room for 'playing' with differnt 'allignments', yes
I said that too from the start

but it will still work as intended with both woofers sharing the same chamber/box, no real problem at all

no its not, but it certainly wont hurt either :D

maybe seperate chambers does give a very small improvement
and it does give more room for 'playing' with differnt 'allignments', yes
I said that too from the start

but it will still work as intended with both woofers sharing the same chamber/box, no real problem at all

I'm not sure different alignments is a good idea; the two woofers won't be in phase synchronism if the low frequency responses are different.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Bingo.

They are not however playing the same mid-range frequencies.

doesnt matter, box allignment still works the same way

all other arguements are theoretical only
some might make sense, some not
and in real life subjective
maybe you hear a difference, maybe you dont

or maybe you already have had the exclusive experience
or are we all still just on a 'theoretical level' ?

Bingo.

They are not however playing the same mid-range frequencies.

Here lets do a simple example
:
The only purpose of the extra woofer in a 2.5 or 3.5 design is to make up for baffle step and bring the low frequencies up to the same level as the mids and highs plus you have less distortion in the bass because of having two drivers working in tandem.

If you only used a typical two way, then you have to design the crossover so that the mids and highs are brought down in level to match the baffle step affect for the lows.

Now, to match the same level in output using the two way vs the 2.5, you have to turn your amp up louder so in effect you are still supplying the same amount of pressure inside the cabinet but does that mean the mids sound terrible?
I think that decades of listening to two ways show that in fact NO it doesn't, so using both low frequency drivers in the same box in a 2.5 or 3.5 is valid.

Having had a very thorough look at the whole thing, I have a very strong feeling that the very efficient dome midrange and ribbon tweeter are going to demand two smallish woofers wired conventionally in parallel in the same enclosure. :cool:

Which means the whole grumpy debate is probably irrelevant. :D

Sorry Chris. Utterly wrong reasoning from YOU. These bass drivers are operating on separate filters so it's really a matter of opinion what is going to work best. One is rolling off at 200Hz with inevitable phase shift. The other is going up to 1kHz in flyingtele's plan

Okay, so what?
We're talking about the LF from the woofer potentially modulating the midrange from the midbass. I say it won't be a problem, but adding a divider will add bracing to the cabinet.
The excursion starts below 80Hz (unless it's very loud), and both drivers will be almost exactly in phase at that point: I'd expect larger differences from manufacturing tolerances.

[sarcasm]BTW, thanks for squashing my much more INTERESTING post about domes. I really wonder why I bother sometimes. [/sarcasm] :mad:
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that I offended you by posting about the original topic (see the title of the thread) instead of what you had posted about dome midranges.
I do find the subject interesting, however: the speakers you posted about are almost exactly the sort of thing I want for when I move and get my own place. My interest is therefore piqued.
Perhaps you'd start a seperate thread about them so they can be discussed further?

Cheers,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.