first diy speaker build, tri tix vented. couple questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all. I am well into my first build and so far things are moving along well. I should have both cabinets completed by the end of this week. I am not quite certain how I would like to finish them though. I am leaning towards a simple dark color paint job. I wood love to do veneer and stain but I have never worked with it and it is not within my budget ( as far as I can tell from basic google search). I have considered just using 1/4" birch plywood and then staining, just not sure how I would tidy up the edges. It is inexpensive enough that I could experiment. Any tips on if I go the paint route, like a good simple method for a first timer? I am a builder and electrician, ,,, never been to thrilled about painting. Thanks.

If you go with the 1/4", the easiest would be to miter the edges to avoid the end grain all together. If that's not feasible, fill the end grain with a wood filler, then cover with Birch veneer tape.

If you want to paint, the outcome totally depends on the surface prep and a high build primer. Then fill, sand, repeat as necessary. The easiest is to use one of the stone finishes. They cover everything & don't look too bad if you use a solid matching base coat first.

But don't count out veneer. I used the Rockler peel & stick walnut with a clear finish only & they turned out awesome for about $80 total.

Attachments

• Complete - Rear.JPG
    Complete - Rear.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 71
Thanx for the tips. Sorry it took me a while to get back, I kust worked an 80 hour week.
Still undecided about the finish. Thinking about truck bed liner. I would love to use diamond plate, but am still looking for a bargain. My prep patience wears thin pretty easily. I am an electrician and am asking a few painter buddies of mine if they may want to swap some work. I will post what I decide as well as a photo journal of the project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.