Seas U16RCY/P + Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT = Prestigious Two – Monitor DXT - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2012, 06:09 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

For a start, the Scanspeak D3004 Beryllium!
Old 12th July 2012, 08:41 AM   #32
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
With regards to the large peak @ 27kHz finding its way into the harmonic distortion via resonance amplification, this is an issue in mid/bass drive units, but I think it's much less of an issue in tweeters as the harmonics produced are higher then what we can hear. The only way these could be audible is via the creation of IMD products.
I agree with you that this kind of cone break-up for a mid-woofer would be a major issue that would have to be dealt with. The DXT tweeter has one of the sharpest cone break-ups I’ve ever measured and it contributes to a rise of about 8 times in the distortion profile for the third-order harmonics at 9kHz. Unfortunately with my measurement setup I cannot catch this, but I’ve seen other measurements done for this tweeter that shows the effect. One such is the German DIY magazine “Hobby & Hifi” issue 2010/1.

I also think that this effect shouldn’t be exaggerated, but some people are sensitive to it, others aren’t. I think it’s up to each and everyone to listen and see if it’s an issue or not and do their own conclusion. This was my main point with pointing it out. The DXT tweeter is a great driver, but it might not fit everyone’s sonic preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
I am a metal-cone kind of guy and aware of their 'issues'. In my ears the distortion numbers in higher frequency is no problem. But I dislike phase plug, hence where the DXT fits in! My "best" tweeter so far is Vifa DQ25 with phase shield removed. Sounds great except that resulting massive null at 15khz.
So as I really hope the Seas DXT will be a very nice compromise between smoothness and directivity . I'll report ...
The DXT tweeter is a great driver and I think you will be happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Göran, come on.. spill the beans. What are these tweeters you prefer over the DXT
I’ve used so many tweeters over the years, but if you force me to answer and I compare it with some tweeters I’ve recently used. This is my current favorites:

1. For twice the money ScanSpeak D3004/660000 (a class of its own)
2. For the same amount of money ScanSpeak D2608/913000 “HDS”
3. For less money Dayton Audio RS28F-4 (a good contender to the DXT)

As you can see, none of these are “metal” tweeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorofille View Post
For a start, the Scanspeak D3004 Beryllium!
Yes, I’ve also used the ScanSpeak Beryllium lately, but it’s so expensive so it’s not fair to compare it and it has a unique sonic character that is hard to compare with other hard dome tweeters and soft dome tweeters. I think this is a kind of tweeter you either love or hate, so to speak.

Regards

/Göran
Old 12th July 2012, 11:35 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornir View Post
. The DXT tweeter has one of the sharpest cone break-ups I’ve ever measured and it contributes to a rise of about 8 times in the distortion profile for the third-order harmonics at 9kHz.
Indeed and if one played a 9kHz tone through the DXT, the tweeter would generate a third harmonic at 27khz and this would then be amplified by the domes bell mode resonance. We cannot hear this though.

The only way this can be audible in any way would be through the generation of difference tones through IMD. It would be interesting to throw some worst case scenario test signals at the DXT just to see how much of an issue this could potentially be.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:58 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Well I didn't have to wait long. Gotta love Madisound and USPS

Click the image to open in full size.

It was pretty easy to equalise them to flat actively, just a simple notch centered at around 4khz. I had not bothered to fine tune them yet as they are still surface mounted. But my first impression is very clean, neutral sound.

Looks great too!

Hide this!Advertise here!