Design Acoustic PS-10 refoam ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, this is my first time on this site, sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong spot, if so just let me know.

I have a set of Design Acoustic PS-10 speakers both of which need to be refoamed. I have a kit to do this, however, when I took one of the speakers out of the cabinet I noticed the foam was between the basket and a hard plastic gasket about 3/8" thick. The plastic is glued down and I can't seem to remove it. I am afraid I am going to damage the speaker in getting it off.

i have read online where people say refoaming this speaker is simple so there must be a way to do it that I am missing.

Does anybody here know how to remove this gasket without causing damage to the speaker? thanks

Most gaskets will come off with a stout utility knife. Your foam is already pretty gooey so you should be able to get a knife into the center of the sandwitch and work it around a little. Try and seperate most of the way round the perimeter and you can also twist the knife to pry it apart from the frame. I wouldn't worry about damaging the gasket (should be pretty tough), and the surround is toast anyhow. What you want to be a little careful of is the cone edge and also putting so much side torque on the cone that you damage the voice coil.

You might also use a couple of small screwdrivers so that you can pry a little and then wedge in with each screwdriver.

Work carefully and you should have no trouble.

David

From the picture above you cannot see the speaker I am referring to. This model has a 10 " down firing woofer, which is the one that needs to be re-fomed. The gasket is on top of the foam and the foam sits on top of the gasket. Thanks

Hi,

OK I understand. Use a craft knife to separate the surround and gasket
at its base, and then remove the rest of the surround as you see fit.

You then need to remove the gasket to fit a new surround. Run something
underneath the gasket and surround around the edge, or alternatively split
the gasket very near its base, then clean up the frame, most gaskets will
split very easily into layers, if the profile of the gasket looks very layered.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/76279-need-help-finding-replacement.html

From that the thread the surround actually looks like a solid plastic trim ring.

60934d1143026449-need-help-finding-replacement-ps10a_driver_busted.jpg

Just go round it working something underneath it to free it.
Then clean up the driver flange and the bottom of the ring.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.