2 way crossover design help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Vifa does not go as low as the Morel, but it goes a lot higher.

This is what I had laying around and going to test today.

The resistors are only 5 watt, 4ohm+1ohm.

Attachments

• DSCN1056.JPG
    DSCN1056.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 113
:cheers:Congratulation !

Indeed. Very interesting bit of work with a time-aligned polycone and the Vifa XT25 standard edition. Looks a good tweeter. I should buy some.

If you want a further refinement, you could tidy up any tendency to tweeter 500Hz Fs resonance with a ZAph Audio Fs correction which he makes to be a 100uF/1mH/4.7R total resistance LCR shunt at 500Hz. Not often I quote Zaph, who is GOD in some people's eyes and seems to command a fanatical following, but I'd trust he hasn't messed this Vifa XT25 Fs correction up totally anyway. You can disregard all the other dynaudio-style stuff since you are time-aligned. :D

An expensive circuit, especially in polypropylene capacitors, but hey, we like trying things. :cool:

Zaph, who is GOD in some people's eyes and seems to command a fanatical following,

Hi,

That is not a very informed comment. He doesn't BS, he doesn't conjecture,
everything he does is backed up by measurement and reasoning. He states
some things are his personal preference, which is up to you to take or leave,
he doesn't pontificate.

There is a wiff of hypocrisy here. He has fans (me included) because of
his no nonsense and no conjecture approach, nothing godlike about it
and nothing to do with people being fanatical in the sense you imply.

A very reliable source of good real information, one of, if not, the best.

rgds, sreten.

Vifa XT25 Fs correction which he makes to be a 100uF/1mH/4.7R total resistance LCR shunt at 500Hz.

Granted every driver will have a bit different parameter set, but I measured my LCR on my XT25 and got to +/- 0.5 ohms from top to bottom using a 1.0mH 20AWG (0.7 ohm DCR), 3.3 ohm resistor (to make the 4.0 ohm value), and a 150uF cap.

Pretty much resistive tweeter system impedance for my XT's.
Later,
Wolf

I'm liking them, nice well balanced sound - no mid range coloration, cool bass.
and only 12.5lbs.

Oblivious to easy**...crossovers are a nightmare unless you know a good bit about them.
Thanks Steve for the design!

E.g. working on a xo for another project, using APICS and trial & error method.
They sound good during a sweep, but are hard to listen to for very long.

:eek: I can't believe this worked (to the point where it just sounds nice).

I used the tweeter and xo from the circuit in wood bass and simply added a 1.8 coil to a TB W5 full range speaker. [roll off starts around 3,000]

The balance is nice and I'm getting wonderful sound out of the "W" boxes.

Attachments

• DSCN1097.JPG
    DSCN1097.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 104
  • W Boxes Two.jpg
    W Boxes Two.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 100
Are your ears burning? Started new project:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/227018-canned-crossover-design-what-next-7.html#post3336242

Yup, the bass filter is right. Whether that sounds right is a matter for trial and error. The treble filter would need adjusting either for low slope or a high crossover frequency. It seems the polycone bass will have a natural rolloff around 4kHz.

The reason I complicated the issue is you were following my suggestion of reducing the crossover shunt resistor. Well, that might not work with a high inductance woofer at 3-4kHz, which yours is.

I think I would have to do some modelling with a suitable 4 ohm 0.8mH driver to see how it all works. My comments may not have been entirely helpful until that is done.

Usual random pictures...:)

Still finding the 5.25 Peerless divers laying around, and an extra pair Vifa XT25 tweeters; thinking a MTM or MMT.

Really think this side port idea is worth pursuing, really gives the speaker a heavy sound.

Attachments

• May have to try this.jpg
    May have to try this.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 297-622.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.