Senior Project Build Thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2012, 08:38 PM   #11
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

I have power conditioners. We're all good
Old 13th September 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Update

So it's about time for an update...

I've decided to start with the subwoofers because they will be able to go into action during this football season (the system they're using until mine is ready is REALLY inadequate).

I started with just one of the four TH18s, I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the cutlist and figure out all the tricks before going in whole hog. Once this one is making some noise I will cut the other three and build them simultaneously to boost my efficiency a bit.

So far it's going pretty well, I cut two boards wrong but it was not because of a cut sheet issue, and they were pretty small pieces so I'm fine on supplies.

I got all of the stuff over the last week, there were a few things that got back ordered but none of it is mission critical, and one of the rack cases never made it to the fedex truck, they have since reshipped it though.

Hopefully I will be making some bass my next week, all thats left on the one is cabinet hardware, putting the other side on, and painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1068.jpg (419.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1069.jpg (398.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1065.jpg (516.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1063.jpg (386.1 KB, 218 views)
Old 14th September 2012, 01:10 AM   #13
MCPete is offline MCPete  United States
diyAudio Member

What kind of sub-woofer are you building? From the first two photos, it looks like either a transmission line or horn.

You will need several people or a lift-truck to move it when it's completed, won't you?

Regards,
Pete

Last edited by MCPete; 14th September 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 14th September 2012, 01:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It is a TH18, it's pretty big, but it has wheels and handles and should be pretty easy for one person to deal with. It doesn't actually weigh all that much, I think it will be like 120 to 150 lbs
Old 14th September 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Building the BFM DR250. remember to use compression drivers. The version with piezo sounds like crap... unfortunately, since i build that. had to convert it afterwards.

best of luck with the project
Old 14th September 2012, 04:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU View Post
Building the BFM DR250. remember to use compression drivers. The version with piezo sounds like crap... unfortunately, since i build that. had to convert it afterwards.

best of luck with the project
There's 8 asd1001s in those boxes

Ive heard piezos before too

Are the dr250s as hard to build as they look?

Last edited by kctess5; 14th September 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 17th September 2012, 07:06 AM   #17
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Yeah, they are as hard to build as they look and to be honest. I don't know if they are worth the trouble...
Old 29th September 2012, 04:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

A few more pictures...

One sub is done (except for paint), and I cut all the wood for the remaining wood. I started with one so that in case there were cut sheet issues I wouldn't ruin a couple hundred dollars worth of wood. Now that the prototype was a total success its move-ahead time.

Hopefully those three will be done within two weeks, and I can get onto the testing

All the electronics are here now. So far I haven't had any major issues with the products I ordered, I forgot a couple of wires, but nothing mission critical. I am very happy that I received the Pyle power conditioners that were backordered. They have a TERRIBLE backorder history and I thought it could be up to 4 months before I got them.

I did high level testing inside of the room the sub and all the stuff is pictured in. That was GOOD fun. Everything was shaking, the windows were visibly flexing, with the doors open even. That room is pretty large, but the sub is designed for a space even larger If I had to guess (spl meter batteries died) I was hitting 125dB with music, without a high pass filter, and still not pushing the cones to xmax.

The finished sub is going to work next friday at out home coming football game. It is supplementing the rental system we are bring in. Next season when I am all done we won't have to rent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1076.jpg (510.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1073.jpg (525.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 04:18 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

No nasty cabinet rattles / vibrations?
Old 29th September 2012, 04:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
No nasty cabinet rattles / vibrations?
I also tested it outdoors so I could just hear it not the room, nothing really bad. There's a little bit at certain frequencies but if your more than a few feet away you can't hear it. I have yet to brace the mouth of the horn, I do plan to add that though, along with a grate, both of which will reduce the cabinet "walking."

When I was inside the room was making quite few "cabinet rattles" though

p.s. I plan to paint everything at once near the end, which is why the sub is moved to it's more long term home in the ASB room (I built it in the engineering room, pictured in a previous post)

Hide this!Advertise here!