Pics of new 4-way horn rig underway

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Question for atilsley

Hi ... I have a question regarding your new 416. You mentioned that it seems to "wake up" at higher volumes if I can paraphrase. I see you presently have a high wattage amp driving the 416. I'm just curious as to wwhat might be the reason why the 416 sounds more punchy & dynamic at higher listening volumes when you already have a lot of power driving it.

Cheers
Frank M

Frank, not sure....but last night I swapped out that amp and ran the bass through the 500/5000 xover and 300B and it was much better. I suspect the 'pro' amp wasn't as geared for the lower hz as my quality SET amp...!? Strange, but true.

I added the tapped horns as well, but these not really needed for all listening sessions.

On driver softening up, I noticed the suspension is already v flexible, when compared to earlier GPA 604's I bought new. Same woofer?

Better pic of bass.

Also built a matching box to house the O-Audio sub amp.

Attachments

• driver in.jpg
    driver in.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 446
  • o-audio amp.jpg
    o-audio amp.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 443
speaker system

....Better pic of bass.

Also built a matching box to house the O-Audio sub amp.

Hi there a: Followed your journey through numerous fantastic concepts/builds, so where does the full speaker system stand now? Do you have future changes in the works? Many thanks for the detailed descriptions and links to other horn buids. I was blown away by the bass horn unit constructed from layers of differing woods/types/colors (post @98). hope you continue posting your systems progression. ...regards, Michael

Last edited:
Beautiful horn. any closeups? How do you like it? I have a jig setup for a second go round with the 290 from Yuichi.
Ha...it's not mine...just borrowed.

I have the drawings of the 290 and 480...but the Altec 620 cab/416 driver is fine with higher xover...so I don't need the big Yuichi (60cm across).

Down the track, I'll probably build another 3 or 4 way...would love to try the 140hz stone horns from Stereolabs, with 10 inch Faital Pro or similar...B&C etc...then run Altec's for 500-2000Hz, then one inch driver for 2000+. Stereolabs 250Hz for the mid, and a 1,000Hz horn for the top.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.