Western Electric 1928 - WE 555 Dissect, Design, DIY??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you--I was always curious as to whom invented the compression driver. To read that the same person invented the multicell horn is nothing short of humbling (given my venture into designing a horn topology of my own).

E.C. Went is a name I will not forget.

If only this information could be written in stone. Time has a way of erasing information. Perhaps it should be etched into stone?

I've been collecting information on horn design for a few years (on and off) for personal use. I will definitely add a few of those pages to my collection.

Hello Bear,

I fully agree with you

Mechanical drivers using compression chambers were yet used in phonographs.

The most important inventor for compression drivers, diaphragms, horns of begining of the 20th century was IMHO Harrison : see here something like a compression chamber :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harrison_mechanical_filter.png

Norton probably invented the first phase plug :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Norton_mechanical_filter.png

After the triode was invented and the need for electomechanical drivers (then later "loudspeakers") Whente, Thuras and the others used to develop their ineventions from many things yet invented for phonographs (metallic diaphragms, compression chambers, phase plugs, horns...)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Last edited:
Origins Much Earlier

Fix URL
Hello Bear,

I fully agree with you

Mechanical drivers using compression chambers were yet used in phonographs.

The most important inventor for compression drivers, diaphragms, horns of begining of the 20th century was IMHO Harrison : see here something like a compression chamber :

File:Harrison mechanical filter.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norton probably invented the first phase plug :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Norton_mechanical_filter.png

After the triode was invented and the need for electomechanical drivers (then later "loudspeakers") Whente, Thuras and the others used to develop their ineventions from many things yet invented for phonographs (metallic diaphragms, compression chambers, phase plugs, horns...)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

The mouthpiece [1] of a "brass" musical instrument, when combined with a pair of human lips, is probably the very first implementation of an acoustical compression driver. Note that a "brass" musical instrument does not have to be made of brass. Any horn that generates sound from the buzzing of the player’s lips into what is generally a cup-shaped mouthpiece is considered to be a "brass" instrument.
Reference [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthpiece_(brass))

Last edited:
afaik, they used an alnico magnet, a different diaphragm (phenolic) with a half round suspension, different front throat, different pole pieces, different everything *except* perhaps a similar shape to the "phase plug" and that the diameter of the VC apparently is the same.

Beyond that they are identical? :p

However, I think the driver does sound good, except that it is much narrower bandwidth, so it is a pretty decent midrange compression driver - Klipsh used it on early corner horns, the larger earlier midrange horn...

Thanks Bear I guess I have been lead to think that they were more alike than different which does not seem to be the case. It is a pretty good mid driver though as you said. So not knowing to much about compression driver design what would be the single biggest restriction to wider band response the diaphragm mass/motor strength issue? Thanks. Best regards Moray James.

PS: what does one call the style of phase plug with several circular slots, radial?

Hello Bear
i'm ok with you for virtual and lot of links dead after couple of years but imagine that before internet what was our probability to find that document ?

now this pdf is in my archiv (i just don t know now how to convert an old driver in a field coil driver ! and with this quality for medium voice)

xcuz my english but school is so far...

Franck

Bonjour Frank,

Je vais a la bibliotque... :D

I had to drive to Philadelphia to get some...

To convert to a field coil you more or less have to rebuild the pole piece that goes down the middle, unless there is a very long slug of alnico, in which case the thing is worth too much to cannibalize.

Moray, the phase plug has a big effect on the HF response, as does the mass of the diaphragm... also the size of the outlet.

Yeah, I think that is radial...

Wente has the original WE patent on it...

_-_-bear

Hi Bear

French bibliothèque ;-) do not have tjis kind of treasure old books of engineer of western electric ! we have old cinema system named Gaumont or Elipson for broadcast.
but my intellect is very attracted by this famous 555 so mythic and personnaly by the design of the WE 16a ! and so many other treasure of the new world ;-))))

here i found 2 olds university sound and altec in very bad condition and my imagination goes with field coil conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.