Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2012, 02:15 AM   #171
Banned

However if you want some outdoor speakers for the winter time you could make them out of Pykrete.

14% Sawdust 86% water, by weight.
Pykrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those who watch Mythbusters know that they were once going to build an aircraft carrier from the stuff.
Old 31st July 2012, 02:50 AM   #172
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I myself have not sen uglier loudspeakers, But I did not hear better results obtained from dynamic drivers in closed enclosures.
It is like medicine, the nastier it tastes the better you think it is working
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 31st July 2012, 05:23 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

i have toyed with the idea of using phenolic birch ply which is used as insulating board in HV applications. Easier to work with than concrete, though only just since its a bit of a pain to cut. The benefit of fibrous plywood without the porosity.
Old 31st July 2012, 05:32 AM   #174
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
It is like medicine, the nastier it tastes the better you think it is working
Thank you for fair judgment of my tastes.

Actually, the shape of that speakers remind shape of this car: in that experiment I tried to avoid all possible causes of resonances.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:17 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Not cement but clearly an interesting and economical solution to wave diffusion.
These are papier mache from old console.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 31st July 2012, 12:24 PM   #176
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway View Post
Not cement but clearly an interesting and economical solution to wave diffusion.
These are papier mache from old console.
That looks like the paper cups on the backs of the midrange units in an old Cerwin Vega I've got hanging around here.

Quote:

Actually, the shape of that speakers remind shape of this car: in that experiment I tried to avoid all possible causes of resonances.
And that is a beautiful car.

Last edited by DrDyna; 31st July 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 31st July 2012, 03:08 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Phenolic Sheet is gorgeous stuff. The US dist. plywood is crap compared to what is available in Japan. I dream of having my perfected Open Baffles carved from canvas phenolic sheet 1" thick on a cnc machine...........One day......
Old 31st July 2012, 03:10 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
That looks like the paper cups on the backs of the midrange units in an old Cerwin Vega I've got hanging around here.

And that is a beautiful car.
Or egg carton cups. Thought they were those faux stone garden speakers sold at
Parts Express when I first so them
Old 31st July 2012, 03:49 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway View Post
Phenolic Sheet is gorgeous stuff. The US dist. plywood is crap compared to what is available in Japan. I dream of having my perfected Open Baffles carved from canvas phenolic sheet 1" thick on a cnc machine...........One day......
This idea is more accessable to me, since my place of work has a machine shop for cutting, routing and profiling of phenolic linen, phenolic ply and grp sheet material. The cost of the raw stock is my main obstacle.
Old 31st July 2012, 04:29 PM   #180
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Click the image to open in full size.
forget audio speakers, I'll take that car ANY DAY over a speaker - I bet it sounds gorgeous
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!