Discussion on 20 watt 2-3 way speaker system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Discussion on 20 watt 2-3 way speaker system

Hello all, I have to say thank you all for the discussions on audio items especially directed towards speakers. I have been trolling around here for over a year. Here is a dream that I have and I am not sure if it can come true.

I bought a Fisher tube amp with 20 watts of I believe will be wonderful sound. I had it redone (new caps, wires, etc…..) but do not have anything to play through it. I already have a system for my B&W CM7 and would like to build a 3 way (if possible) speaker that would go well with my new procurement.

I know that a lot (most if I may) builders are going with a single full range driver, is this the only way to go?

If I may ask, what would be some good matches for a 2 or 3 way DIY speaker system? I am in need of a tweeter, mid/woofer and if possible a woofer. Can this be done and if so what would you (the group that is) recommend????

This would be my first build and I know that I should regurgitate something that has been done before. This is a learning experience; I would like to make something new, something different in a way.

I am not asking for the answer but a good discussion on what would/could satisfy my interesting requirements. Thanks for the read, discussion and (unlike most non audio forums) friendly professionalism

Have a good one,

Golgiapparatus
Old 1st June 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

TQWT- See TQWT-mk II. Also see his discussion on high eff. speakers. You need them with only 20 watts. His designs are top notch, IMHO. Not the cheapest or the easiest to build but, in most cases, worth it. You could do worse.
Resist the urge to do something different. Build something that has a reasonable chance of success. Save the new, different approach for your second DIY build. Learn from your first one. Read Loudspeaker Design Cookbook in your spare time.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

It completely depends on your intended use, taste and room, what would suit.
Just about any decent speaker would work well in a set of given circumstances.

Your "interesting" requirements are barely stated, and you state you don't
wan't an "answer", seems to me going for a long utterly pointless thread.

Trying to reinvent the wheel (badly) in your first build is not a good idea.

rgds, sreten.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:03 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgiapparatus View Post
[I bought a Fisher tube amp with 20 watts of I believe will be wonderful sound.
are you saying you havent heard it yet
Old 1st June 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

welcome. I once had an old musical fidelity amp, maybe 20watts, classic of its time, i fail to recall the exact model, but it was quirky and small format. Wish i had it now. The reasons you list are similar to my joining the forum, and many others. I currently have a 25 watt cambridge amp, really is more than adequately loud in my small living area, which is L shaped average in respect to being live or dead, 30 to 35 sqm. My speakers are maybe 86 dB/W. I would say that if youre room is similarly sized or slightly larger, then your amp will be fine with perhaps a 5 to 8 inch woofer based two way, or a similarly sized fullrange driver design. I reckon a 3 way is unnecessary unless your room is twice the size, and then you may also require slightly higher sensitvity speakers. Otherwise, power wise, unless you want ear damaging levels, you will be fine with 20W if theyre clean.hope this was of some help.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Troels Gravesen might have a nice speaker design for tube amps
Old 1st June 2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Troels Gravesen might have a nice speaker design for tube amps
Tinitus, look at the link in #2
Old 1st June 2012, 11:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to pyromaniac_
Ok, I'm not famliar with your amp but say it's a common tube-amp design with an output transformer that makes it handle low impedance load (4-8ohm) like a solidstate one. There is high impedance speakers (>300 ohm) special built for tube amps thats i s the only right way to go if you ask me, but I doubt thats not the case.

So for the range of power you suggest I wouldn't go with 3-ways speakers. In my oppinion there have to be a bass-speaker larger than 8" to benefit from that design and what I boubt the amp could handle.

I don't know very much full range speaker, but i could probably work. But forget 3-way anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!