Need 8" woofer for 3 way design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody :)

I'm looking for some 8" woofers for my new project. a 3 Way WWMTMWW.
I would love to use the Scan-speak revelator, but they are to expensive.

I'm currently looking at the SB acoustics woofer and the Peerless HDS nomex.
Leaning most towards the SB acoustics.

What woofer would you recommend? If not one of those two, which would you suggest in the sub 100 euro range?

Thanks in advance :)

Since you don't want to spend the money for an SS woofer, the SB Acoustics is a really good choice. I've used both (SS-8857) in TLs and while the SS woofer has a larger Xmax and can play a little louder, the SB 8-incher comes very close in performance. Also, if you go to philharmonicaudio.com, you'll see Dennis Murphy's offerings, two of which use the SB woofer and the other an SS-8851 8-incher (for which I designed the TL enclosures for Dennis). I used the SB woofer in a 3-way, the Sonatello, with it mounted in a tapered TL (see attached image).
Paul

Hi everybody :)

I'm looking for some 8" woofers for my new project. a 3 Way WWMTMWW.
I would love to use the Scan-speak revelator, but they are to expensive.

I'm currently looking at the SB acoustics woofer and the Peerless HDS nomex.
Leaning most towards the SB acoustics.

What woofer would you recommend? If not one of those two, which would you suggest in the sub 100 euro range?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Front-top view.jpg
    Front-top view.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 564

The Usher 8137A, or rather its all black version (USHER 8136-K):

www.audax-speaker.de/index.php?module=shop_articles&index[/url][shop_articles][action]=details&index[shop_articles][category==12&index[shop_articles][data][shop_articles_id]=117

You can see Zaph's testing of the original 8137A here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/8test/

(you'll need to cut and past the url's.)

Not only can it perform at low freq.s in a relatively small enclosure (..all else equal), it has some of the lowest non-linear distortion of any driver below 200 Hz. Those particular factors in combination, even with the price increase, make it one of the best (..if not the best) solutions in your price range. (..the Peerless has even better higher order distortion performance at lower freq.s, but won't give the same amount of extension near the average for a comparable enclosure volume.)]%[/category]

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
you suggest in the sub 100 euro range?

ScSp have a couple interesting glassfiber coned 8" in the discovery series

thou not sure how they achive 92db for the 4ohm woofer
might be a mistake, or very optimistic, but I dont know that

actually, theres also a nice looking new mid with glas cone and phase plug, and with ist highish sensitivity, a light coating might do good

I have both the Usher 8137A and the Peerless HDS 830869.

Personally, I prefer the Usher. It's more Dynamic and "Ballsy". Exactly the kind of sound I like. Lots of detail in the Upper Bass Region (80-200Hz).

Brings back memories of the SS Revelator, but that was years ago when I last heard them.

The Peerless 830869, by comparison, is more "Polite", for lack of a better term. To be fair, I need to work on this Peerless again. I think I'm not getting the maximum potential out of it.

Attachments

• USHER 8137A 25L PORTED_small.jpg
    USHER 8137A 25L PORTED_small.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 504
Here you have a DIY speaker from a fellow I know.The 20 cm woofers are from the discovery series of ScanSpeak.I also bought 4 of those units for 230 Euros.
By the way these spreakers are for sale

Attachments

• Scan Speak mid and woofer and vifa tweeter.jpg
    Scan Speak mid and woofer and vifa tweeter.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.