Tannoy red original or recone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day, please help to identify if this Tannoy RED 12 were recone or not (pictures enclosed)?
The colour of cones is suspiciously black...

Attachments

• IMG_8001.JPG
    IMG_8001.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_8002.JPG
    IMG_8002.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8003.JPG
    IMG_8003.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8005.JPG
    IMG_8005.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8004.JPG
    IMG_8004.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Hi,

You really need a dedicated Tannoy site, but FWIW I don't suspect a recone,
but the centre dust caps look to me far too shiny, like the whole driver has
been treated with some sort of spray, (Including the front gasket as well),
not good at for the treble response that should pass through the dustcap.
I would tread very carefully.

rgds, sreten.

tannoy-chatsworth-red-12-speakers-8.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The cone thickness of the Tannoy is approx. 0.46 mm.A treatment such as Dammar or an elastic PVA compound will have a noticeable effect on such a relatively thin cone and it is something that I would avoid unless I was certain that the outcome lead to an improvement.

I guess they rather sound better than before after coating if this was danmar indeed . Thats what Troels found out threating his pair. If you want them to flip and earn the money maybe it's not the safest bet but for your personal enjoyment I'd take them in heart beat . If the orange dust cover is sealed with danmar than remove it and enjoy a better speakers altogether. Good luck , wonderfull speakers danmar or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.