help interpreting graph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
plugged some figures in Unibox and came out with this graph for a vented enclosure:

Attachments

• vb response tang band w4-654s.gif
    vb response tang band w4-654s.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 200
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
You have two Tang Band 4 inchers in a ridiculously large enclosure, tuned far too high. That is why you have the huge peak just before cutoff.

Since there are 28.3 Liters in 1 Ft³, this enclosure is 5.3 Ft³! That is big enough to fit a 15 incher into, instead of two 4 inchers.

I suggest either a sealed box with 13 Liters, or a ported box with 19 liters tuned to 50 Hz.

See if the dark blue line doesn't look better. That is, a flat line all the way down, untiil it turns downward for the cutoff.

i tried to change the volume in Unibox... didn't know that I could do that :)...

anyway, the graph looked much better... is this basically the shape that one has to achieve whenever designing vented or sealed enclosure?

Attachments

• vb response tang band w4-654s.gif
    vb response tang band w4-654s.gif
    15 KB · Views: 185
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That looks much better. I usually play around for a while until I get something pretty flat, with as low a 3db point as possible without compromising the flatness too much. It's interesting to change things like the port length, or box volume, just to see how it afects things.

Have fun :)

Regards,

Tony.

Don't forget that appropriately coloured red line cutting through the graph! This show that the drivers have reached max linear excursion (xmax) at ~175Hz. So at 80w input, flattening out the bottom octaves by changing box volume, tuning etc. makes no difference.

Alter the power handling figure until you find a point where the red line does not intersect with the black line within the required range (or using the second Unibox graph might be easier - peak cone excursion graph).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.