CROSSOVER calculation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With voicecoil inductance you've put your finger on one of the factors that is crucial in designing musical speakers, IMO. Which generally leads to low inductance overdamped polypropylene cones in one school of speaker design.

You really can't get simple crossovers or high crossover point to work well with high inductance. The rest of the forum will doubtless groan when I produce this oversimplification again, but nevertheless, it gave me great insight into filters and how they actually incorporate an electrical model of the driver which may really be about matching source and load, if you follow:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Enjoy.

Steve, thanks very much for links to those articles; this guy talk my language when it comes to what to expect from good speaker (size, cone material, sensitvity, how to build them..). Sound so much like old school, so much like good old school of sound...Thanks!

You can't believe how GOOD Troels is, can you? He's a treasure! He answers emails too.
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

For future reference, Steen Duelund is one of the great generous innovators of loudspeakers too:
Duelund Coherent Audio

You have to sleep on his stuff to totally get it, but quite amazingly insightful. You will discover why he puts carpet on the OUTSIDE of speakers, for instance. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.