Celestion Ditton 44 sounding muddy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 09:03 PM   #11
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey88 View Post
Good to hear! Sounds like this is the problem then, hey?

Well, I scored these speakers for very cheap so I'm not at a loss in any way. Sounds more like a fun project to me! After I've done this, then I can feel confident doing this with other loudspeakers.

Thanks system7!
Well I can't guarantee my advice, but the Ditton 44 is a fab speaker. See how it goes on the capacitors. If they really are electrolytics, they are suspect number one after twenty years. You can otherwise just look for a loose wire.

Polypropylenes are just way better. Only question is will they fit? Good luck, my friend.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Well I can't guarantee my advice, but the Ditton 44 is a fab speaker. See how it goes on the capacitors. If they really are electrolytics, they are suspect number one after twenty years. You can otherwise just look for a loose wire.

Polypropylenes are just way better. Only question is will they fit? Good luck, my friend.
Fair enough.

I will perhaps check for loose wiring first, but that would be quite odd as these speakers have never been opened up before. I got these beauts from the original owner who strictly listened to them, nothing more. Although, maybe from moving them around..

Either way, I'll check it out. Thanks again.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You should get back later with your findings, jeffrey. People rarely do though, and I'd forgive you...

Not inconceivable that the midrange is wired wrongly on phase too from the factory. Stranger things have happened. That would need some study of schematics.

You've certainly found a bargain there, because IMO, the best Celestion speakers were as good as it gets. Quite fixable too.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should get back later with your findings, jeffrey. People rarely do though, and I'd forgive you...

Not inconceivable that the midrange is wired wrongly on phase too from the factory. Stranger things have happened. That would need some study of schematics.

You've certainly found a bargain there, because IMO, the best Celestion speakers were as good as it gets. Quite fixable too.
Do you think there's any harm in trying to just change the positive and negative on the midrange?
Old 27th May 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey88 View Post
Do you think there's any harm in trying to just change the positive and negative on the midrange?
You won't break anything. Off the top of my head, I think the midrange is wired out of phase with the second order bass and third order treble here. TBH, I'm not too sure! But give it a go!

Oh wait, that's 4th order bass:

Click the image to open in full size.

No. I'm out of my depth right now! LOL

Last edited by system7; 27th May 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hmm, looks like the woofer and midrange are wired in phase, and the tweeter out of phase if it's like the Ditton 66 which I happen to have in my huge collection of PDF's and images. Best I can say at this stage.

Phase is not straightforward. I'd go with the schematic.

Aha, I do have it. Tweeter out of phase, woofer and mid in phase:

Click the image to open in full size.

Blurry image. Sorry.

Last edited by system7; 27th May 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, looks like the woofer and midrange are wired in phase, and the tweeter out of phase if it's like the Ditton 66 which I happen to have in my huge collection of PDF's and images. Best I can say at this stage.

Phase is not straightforward. I'd go with the schematic.
Yeah I tried switching the phase around on the midrange and no go. I think it actually became worse if anything!
Old 27th May 2012, 10:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well I hope all this has been some help, jeffrey. It's getting late in the UK, and I must sign out. You take care now. It's been a pleasure finding out about your new toys!
Old 27th May 2012, 10:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steve. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Steve,

Little update. Turns out that the speakers had been sitting for a long time. I've been playing them continuously for hours and they are really starting to open up. I think regardless though, to get the best from these amazing speakers, I'm going to need to do a few modifications to the crossovers as well as the speaker itself.

I've read about when replacing capacitors the sound can change drastically. Is this because caps need time to break in? I'm going to do an electrolytic replacement instead of poly, just because I want to keep it as similar as possible. I don't mind having to do another replacement in 20 years if need be.

Hide this!Advertise here!