New waveguide for 1"+ tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
It needs to be turned sideways for use with a 5" woofer, such that the rectangular face makes driver spacing too high.
It's obvious, and I agree. Many designs have also large space between drivers. They (manufacturers) don't come with a lot of designs every year, much less for new waveguides/horns, the SEOS project being an exception for the last couple of years. When one comes out it's new but has some flaws. Visaton is known for being good but not a good example of perfection with some very good (read the best) products.
Old 27th May 2012, 02:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The main reason i defend this product are that it is aviable for a price i am willing to pay for an item for experimentation, Troels WG who probably are better are NOT aviable for such a price
Maybe they're just a copy of the Pyle PH65 or MCM 54-580
I've inquired the price, i was quite surprised, four times the price of the the previous references.

I own two TW034, by the way if you use them without wave guide, you must add a notch filter f : 10.7 khz, Q:1, -3db (RCL 5.6 Ohms, 2.2 mF, 0.1 mH) because of their rising SPL curve. The use of a wave guide creating a flat SPL curve prevent tu use this notch filter.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:01 PM   #13
FE3T is offline FE3T  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal GUERIN View Post
Maybe they're just a copy of the Pyle PH65 or MCM 54-580.
Nope, the WG`s you mention are made for use with a troat with brass treaded inserts for accepting compression drivers. those who have used them with dome tweeters have made substantial moods to make them work.

Troels WG are made for the TW34XO and the Visaton are made for a few of their domes. and will only need mods if you want to use them with CD`s

Quote:
I own two TW034, by the way if you use them without wave guide, you must add a notch filter f : 10.7 khz, Q:1, -3db (RCL 5.6 Ohms, 2.2 mF, 0.1 mH) because of their rising SPL curve. The use of a wave guide creating a flat SPL curve prevent tu use this notch filter.
Thanks a lot for that info, it migth come in handy of any of my 4 TW34XO will end up being used without a WG.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

In a German magasine they have crossed it at second order 2Khz (6.8mF, 15 mf, 0.33 mH).
I havent tried to filter the tw034 it so lower, in my system I use now second order,
(3.8 mF, 0.15, 12 mF) fc is arount 4500 kHz.

Feedback welcome concerning TW034 crossover and measures
With wich speaker are you planning tu use de TW034 ?

Last edited by Pascal GUERIN; 27th May 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In a German magasine they have crossed it at second order 2Khz (6.8mF, 15 mf, 0.33 mH).
I havent tried to filter the tw034 it so lower, in my system I use now second order,
(3.8 mF, 0.15, 12 mF) fc is arount 4500 kHz.

Feedback welcome concerning TW034 crossover and measures
With wich speaker are you planning tu use de TW034 ?
They will most probably end up with bastardized bassmids made by mixing and matching certain baskets reconed with other than the manufacturers intended parts, i prefer to not say more at this point, since i migth wanna buy more rawmaterial and dont need competition for the parts at the prefered sources. After all, i belive i am not the only one who would like to try out this idea, or would like to try to partially DIY a couple of drivers.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Visaton-s 'waveguide' is a 15cm circle. Seas has a 10cm DXT, Monacor WG-300 is a 17cm unit.
This profile is more similar to a good studio-monitor waveguide, should give a 130-150deg. nominal coverage in the tweeters passband. No more mushroom-cloud looking horizontal dispersion. Shame they put it on a big rectangle. Makes mating to a 5-7" a pain due to wider baffle than necessary. An 8" is quite directional by 2kHz, but can this device hold pattern till 1,5kHz to mate with an 8" - guess no. Anyone got some polars?
Old 28th May 2012, 01:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Pic taken from the Visaton Studio 1 page

Last edited by FE3T; 28th May 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Seems like a round version of the Visaton WG has surfaced

Link

Last edited by FE3T; 29th December 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 29th December 2012, 01:03 AM   #19
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Should be interesting to test with a 1.5" compression driver (used in a "tweeter" range...)
Old 29th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I noticed these WG before. The one aspect that prevented me trying them is the 20mm domes im using with my AL130 woofers.

The rectangular guide, used vertically, could have an arc cut from the bottom edge to decrease driver spacing.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 29th December 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!