Fostex "boiler plate" speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WMTMW is a MTM (mid-tweeter-mid) with woofers above and below, then add stereo subs to that. Ends up as a 4 way system, which a 8x2 minidsp can handle.

If you're going to go with closed boxes, as opposed to horns or open baffle, I think they should be extra large and stuffed, as to act as close to infinite baffle as possible, basicly low Q. I also prefer a minimum baffle, aka Vandersteen.

Transient correct - look into Thele and Dunlavy designs......much easier to do these days with the dsp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't tell if the XENYX has phantom power or not. Do you know? If it does, it will be fine.

As for the WTMW, I've heard some nice ones, but can't help you at all there as I have no build or crossover experience (important!) with these. I keep it simple and classic.

> That just looks classic to me...I could get excited about something like this. Maybe add a woofer and a tweeter and WOW. Is that not beautiful? What do you think, Sir?

The comments are in doubt if that great looking kind of horn is the best approach compared to the current state of the art in horn design.

This could be interesting for your project:
Horns
(don't know the price)

Oh and just my personal point of view, from a non expert.....I like horns/waveguides and would consider using them in a design, but feel that they inherently lack "correct" dynamic/impulse response compared to a transient perfect design using cones/domes/ribons/planars and the correct crossovers. Especially the horn subs.

Open baffles are also very popular and I've built open baffle subs myself. While I see the appeal, I'm not too crazy about the back wave and the level of cancelations occuring, and inefficency. Why not infinite baffle, or more practically, an extra large enclosure (Qts < .5, or as practically near Qtc as possible) with lots of damping material, and 1st order high pass with the dsp?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.