Fostex "boiler plate" speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Dave for your advice on the Fostex crossover, I've never used on of their designs. The woofer LP is textbook, the mid does not seem to be.
If I were to build a system like this (again) - I'd:
  1. Figure out how big a box will fit in my listening space. 150L is at the very limit for a woofer like this. Twice that would be better.
  2. Find a great midrange horn. The very cool horns out of Poland that are in the Group Buy forum have been highly praised. Friends of my have been very happy with them.
  3. Get some sort of digital crossover and amps to go with it. DCX2496 or the new MiniDSP stuff.
  4. Buy a soundcard with a phantom powered mic input and collect some free measurement software.
  5. Go from there.
Not the "ready to cook recipe" requested, but in the end a much, much better path. I sure wish there was a cut and paste design for this type of speaker, but I've never found it.
Old 27th May 2012, 01:25 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I modeled the big Fostex, it is very happy n 150 litres, 200 is pushing beyond what i'd consider. Moot as thus driver is now unobtainium .

I was thinking about what i'd look at 1st in a 15 for this kind of app... it would be a Llambda Apollo (now Acoustic Elegance).

dave
Old 27th May 2012, 01:26 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
[*]Get some sort of digital crossover and amps to go with it. DCX2496 or the new MiniDSP stuff.
DCX2496 not really suitable without some analog section remedial care. Pano can recommend some.

dave
Old 27th May 2012, 02:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If that box were internally braced with a skeletal grid of stiffeners would I have to allow for the volume of the bracing and gross up the box to net out the formula volume?

Am I wrong or is that box anemic?
Old 27th May 2012, 02:51 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Yes on both accounts.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I modeled the big Fostex, it is very happy n 150 litres, 200 is pushing beyond what i'd consider. Moot as thus driver is now unobtainium .

I was thinking about what i'd look at 1st in a 15 for this kind of app... it would be a Lambda Apollo (now Acoustic Elegance).

dave
For an allout system the Lambda designs are unbeatable. Nick McKinney was a homeboy back in the day, spent some time at his shop and got up close and personal with those drivers. HF extension to the moon, heard a pair full range and soprano voices came through nicely. You could simply plug one of those monsters into the wall socket and it would deliver a pure 60Hz sine wave until it finally got hot. Oh, and crazy sensitivity. Just sick stuff.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Doesn't A.E. have a big backlog list at the moment? Or do they have stock to ship?
Old 27th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd not be surprised if people are waiting. Small operation, 1st class stuff.

dave
Old 27th May 2012, 05:31 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks Gentlemen, all this is helpful...and appreciated.

I looked at the Acoustic Elegance drivers. They look really good. To my chagrin, I was actually somewhat heading down the road of building a speaker around a driver which I know is the wrong approach.

If I harken back to something said earlier, would I be better off with two 12's or one 15?

Does it really make the bass tighter as opposed to one large woofer?

I was going to build a tube amp which would be my first with tubes but with this much cone area I would think the low damping factor would diminish what would be otherwise possible so I will probably build something out of sand eventually.

The system this will replace...actually displace because I couldn't part with it...is a 15 low bass, 6.5 mid bass, 1.5 impregnated textile dome midrange, and a planer tweeter. The system is biamped with an active crossover. One amp carries the 15, the other carries the rest through a passive traditional crossover. The box is nearly 6 feet tall and about 2 feet wide so size isn't a primary consideration but it has to be asthetically pleasing. I will probably vereer it in walnut burl if I can get it smooth enough...otherwise, a black piano finish.

Yes when I go all out...I go all out
Old 27th May 2012, 07:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

1 15" is my preference. Two 15s even better. There are some advantages to a dual 12, but the single 15 has always worked for me.

What is the active crossover you now have?

Hide this!Advertise here!