My first DIY project: remaking Admiral Tunnel Reflex speakers (17" deep cabinets)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first DIY project: remaking Admiral Tunnel Reflex speakers (17" deep cabinets)

Hey DIYA,

Well I recently came into a neat little find recently. Some Admiral Tunnel Reflex speakers! Unfortunately they're the biggest ones with the non FE103A drivers, but I thought heck these are still fairly decent so these would be a great DIY project. Plus, for $8 in a thrift store you really can't go wrong!

Anyway, I was wondering about how I could get the specs of the drivers so I could build an enclosure for these. The number on the bottom of the driver is 12RG06, not sure if that helps at all.. couldn't get a manufacturer on it unfortunately. I'm hoping planet10 (Dave) might know something :)

Either way if there's another way of measuring them, maybe someone could help me with that? I'd even be interested in mailing the speakers for testing..

Thanks!

Pics of the drivers would be helpful too. I am assuming they are the ones with the ceramic magnets?

Yes Dave and Cal have probably seen countless of these tunnel reflex boxes. I seem to recall Cal or Dave saying those enclosures make good firewood.;)

I know they've played with some of those drivers....I've used both the little Fostex (Alnicos) and the ceramic iteration as mids in some speaker builds..with some success;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice drivers. Don't discount the little thimble tweeters either.

Here are the numbers i measured ... as with most TSP measured by DIYers, they are lowish drive and Qt & Fs will be lower and Vas higher with higher drive levels.

dave

Attachments

• Coral12RG06-TSP.gif
    Coral12RG06-TSP.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 231
The Tunnel Reflex was designed by John J. Nirva , audio engineer at Admiral Corp.
Here is the patent you can go look up. 3,523,589 Patented Aug. 11, 1970. I was with Admiral at the time and we incorporated the Reflex in both portable, table top, and console stereos.The consoles used a 6 inch speaker and 2 inch tweeter. The consoles were limited in production and are hard to find. They are easy to duplicate in foam core or 1/4" Plywood.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.