Advice needed for sub enclosures - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2013, 07:53 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

oliv928,
You have a lot to read in the thread bjorno it's linking.
bjorno, to help oliv928 a little, I think you said on post #5 on your link, that a T-TQWT (~73 L) is the better option for a sub. From your experience is better than a BR? My simulator says it's a better choice, together with BR, for this driver, being both good options.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:33 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

thank You guys for your help. It is very nice of You. As an information, here is the typ of amplifier I want to use with the sub system. I give You this data because I am not 100% sure it is considered as active amp. Also, keep in mind that i want to use two bass enclosures (one L one R), so that, by putting the Philips speakerson them, I will have a classical look of big 80's speaker. That's why I will use only one channel of each stereo amp.
I went to that design, after recommendation of a french guy. He told me I could not have correct impedance on the system with passive filters. Also it will give me the possibility to adjust level of bass with the amp gain control knob (and cross freq), which seems to be a good comfort for a first project.
I will read the thread you linked to me with a lot of interest.
Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: png module ampli sub carac.png (38.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 4th February 2013, 03:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I have seen the thread. Unfortunately this is a TQWT design. Why not, but the construction doesn't seem very easy to do. I would say I prefer to stay on classical volume (BR I suppose).
Old 5th February 2013, 02:58 AM   #24
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
inductor wrote:

I think you said on post #5 on your link, that a T-TQWT (~73 L) is the better option for a sub. From your experience is better than a BR? My simulator says it's a better choice, together with BR, for this driver, being both good options.

Hi All

Have a look at the submitted new BR simulations for this tread original Driver= Phillips AD12200-W8 and compare with the new Mivoc-AW3000 BR simulation.
IMO the Phillips driver should work well in a BR but the Mivoc is IME easy to get sounding with bad 'Ported sound tails'.

Added more suggestions for the Phillips driver(s)..

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mivoc-AW3000-BR_calc.jpg (491.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg PHILIPS AD12200-W8_BR-sugg.jpg (405.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg PHILIPS AD12200-W8_sugg.jpg (903.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 5th February 2013, 04:14 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliv928 View Post
I have seen the thread. Unfortunately this is a TQWT design. Why not, but the construction doesn't seem very easy to do. I would say I prefer to stay on classical volume (BR I suppose).
bjorno is simulating a BR (bass-reflex enclosure) with 64L. (I guess... just taking in what he's doing.)
You originally were venting the idea of 76L at f3=28Hz on post #11, so that's not very far back.
In the lautsprechershop.de website they show an example of a BR,
Quote:
MIVOC AW 3000
recommended cabinet 2:
81 L volume bass reflex cabinet
with HP100 reflex tube, 27 cm long.
from 29/23 Hz (-3dB/-8dB).
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components
In this case port is long almost 30 cm (27cm Lenght/9.6cm Diam.). And it doesn't provide for adequate speed of air (>17m/s). Are you going to use a circular port? It's not a problem with speed of air in the limit at max. SPL.
Speed of air 18.5 m/s for 111.9 dB with 1 speaker/1 m. Only if you are using your sub always at max. level.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:14 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
bjorno is simulating a BR (bass-reflex enclosure) with 64L. (I guess... just taking in what he's doing.)
Well, I think You are wrong. bjorno recomend 51L. So it is different with my 76L. If bjorno find the real best solution I would probably go with this volume. But if larger Vol gives better bass sound I can make it also. Or something in between ?
I will probably go with tubular vent. I won't play it at max level.
Thank You
Old 7th February 2013, 10:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

When I mix all that figures I have simulated in winIsd and Bowsim and could go for :
BR V=60L f3=34Hz
Then dimensions could be :
H=66mm W=40 D=30
Vents : Why not 2 circular vents ? Then d=4.7cm L=11.29cm for mach=0.10

Do You think it could sound well ? What about dimensions proportions ( for resonance problems ) , max excursions on the AW3000 , and Vents choice ?

Thank You very much
Old 9th February 2013, 12:53 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I also try a freeware 3D design to refine the proportions of all to prepare and carpentry. The only one I Locate FreeCAD is. It is super easy to use and comprehensive, but rather buggy, which ultimately makes use very painful to go through the layout of the boards. Do you know one by chance?
Old 9th February 2013, 01:48 PM   #29
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliv928 View Post
Vents : Why not 2 circular vents ? Then d=4.7cm L=11.29cm for mach=0.10
The total vent surface would be only 1/14 of the driver surface, that's at least factor 2 too small. You better use two 7 cm vents, length 26 cm. Choose the depth of the cabinet accordingly (35 cm or more).
Old 16th October 2013, 07:27 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I am coming back on the subject because I have bought the wood panels. Do You think it is a problem if W and D are the same. For example W=D=40cm (stationary wave). If yes, how different do they have to be ? D=38 W=40 , is it OK ?

Hide this!Advertise here!