Advice needed for sub enclosures - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default received the speakers

i have received the speakers : MIVOC AW3000
I have also ordered and received to amplifiers for subwoofers filtered at 60 to 160Hz
I would like to designed the boxes now. Probably vented. The best simulation I made is with 76L at f3=28Hz on boxsim.
Do You think it would be good ? some people think it is to big.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:43 PM   #12
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliv928 View Post
I use it in closed
3way, classic monitor design
Old 24th January 2013, 01:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The best simulation I made is with 76L at f3=28Hz on boxsim.
Too big (for an optimized BR).
Ok, so we have now MIVOC AW 3000.
I love sealed speakers. In this case I would go with MIVOC in a BR VB = 40/45 L, FB = 28 Hz. Sealed it's possible but, and if VB = 76 L, F5 in the 50's (Hz) vs. BR F5 in the 30's (Hz).

Philips AD0161 25mm, dome tweeter
Philips AD8066/W4 200mm
MIVOC AW 3000
(Philips 22RH453 original crossover)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Philips 22RH453 xover.jpeg (12.2 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Inductor; 24th January 2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: sealed vs. BR
Old 25th January 2013, 08:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank You for Your posts. Concerning dealy and phases : in the drawing of the original Philips filter, do You think the B- figure means that the AD8066 is pluged in phase opposition? If so, it means I have to consider this for the phase choice of the Mivoc, isn't it ?
Old 25th January 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

What crossover frequency are you using (active/passive)? See if it works with one inductor and same phase. When listening check for both SPL's, with luck might be about the same as in the Philips drivers.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have also bought subwoofer crossed amplified modules. On theses modules I can adjust cross frequency from 40 to 160 Hz, phase switch and Power level on the Woofer. I have bought 2 of this amp, because I don't want to make a single subwoofer, but two of them as Sub enclosers on for each Philips speaker, placed on the ground as bases.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I would like to build soon these cabs. So I need now to make the woodworking and vents plan. I am not against volume of 64L f3 34Hz, as some people recommend me. But in boxsim, with active or passive filter, when I grow up a little the volume and decrease the f3 ( 76L 28Hz ) I can reach some 30Hz with -3dB. So what has to be choosen now ? I am now hesitating...
Old 1st February 2013, 05:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

someone in another thread of this forum tells the MIVOC aw3000 must be used in sealed enclosure... what to think about that?
Anyway, what would be the best volume to use ? does it depend to the filter ? mine is active amp crossed at 160Hz
Old 1st February 2013, 07:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Modeling for an active is going to be different from a passive loudspeaker. Mostly because you don't want a knee in the low frequency roll-off of the loudspeaker. With DSP and active crossover/amp where you have some active control in the lower frequencies it's different. Usually I don't model in a simulator this type of setup, others do, but a BR looks more favorable than a sealed enclosure. You can also test this closing the port. The box you mention it's more favorable to a sub and it's a long away from the 40 L optimized (passive) for this driver. MIVOC AW 3000
The freq. you mention of 30Hz is a free field measurement/simulation and you will have ~26Hz inside the room. So that's why a lot of maximized low-frequencies will give you a peak in the room where room properties typically dominate the rate of energy decay. I would go for the purpose of testing with the 60'sL in room as you mention and 50'sL for a better integration and better smooth roll-off. That's why also not bad idea to test a sealed one with good integration.
F3 in a sealed enclosure is going to be in the high's 70'sHz what might not be enough/advisable for a sub.

Last edited by Inductor; 1st February 2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: BR vs. sealed
Old 1st February 2013, 07:33 PM   #20
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
someone in another thread of this forum tells the MIVOC aw3000 must be used in sealed enclosure... what to think about that?
Anyway, what would be the best volume to use ? does it depend to the filter ? mine is active amp crossed at 160Hz
Hi,

Someone must be joking...:Here are examples of the opposite recommendations:

Design check of a simple <100 sub

b

Hide this!Advertise here!