Where to buy inductors (Australia)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question for people in Australia,

Where are you getting your inductors from? I've been using Jaycar ones all this time, but they seem to have too much series resistance. (20AWG wire)
Looking to improve to maybe 14AWG or so.

Seems hard to fine other types down here. Speakerbits have some too, are they any good?

Also, if buying from overseas, where from?

Not too keen on making them myself, but anythings possible :)

Any help appreciated.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
14 gauge AWG(1.6mm) is a difficult wire to handle and if you are considering a high inductance value and air cored as well you are up for a relatively expensive item.Having said that,you could try Gary Cawsey in Thornbury who custom winds his own coils,otherwise the Jantzen flat foil type from Parts Express may be another choice.

re:'bad experiences with HASAaudio ' - my last shipment from HAS was somewhat tardy in arriving... perhaps he doesn't have all items in stock and needs to wait for delivery from manufacturer. IF this is the case, Mr HAS should be up front about it; otherwise he's just going to severely annoy his customers.

(I'm happy to buy SEAS from him and am prepared to wait for quality drivers, but accurate delivery times prevent frustration...)

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if HAS keeps much stock as his range is extensive. Just needs to be up front with delivery times as buyers are tolerant when given factual times.

When I was a speaker driver reseller years ago, I carried no stock (too expensive for a small player) but supplies from the distributor was only 24 hours away.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
As we'd be halving the inductance as well (1.5mH at 0.7 ohms would already be an improvement), but why not exploit this if possible. It may be best to measure each one but I think if you stack the formers as neatly as they are made, it may be consistent enough to make sets of them.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some thoughts on the 5.6mH iron core. With two you could have 2.8mH at 0.25 ohms with double the power before saturation. As a thought you could push the bar out of one of them and skewer the pair on just one bar. You'd lose inductance with less iron but you'd potentially restore it due to the coupling. The sensitivity to saturation would also stand to improve if this causes the ratio of core in to core removed inductance to come closer to 1:1.

BTW, I have some 9mH iron cores that are labeled 19AWG(0.9mm), though Jaycar now claims 0.8mm.

Wow, that's a lot of links there, thanks for all those, I will definitely look into them when I'm ready to buy some. :)

Not a bad idea about paralleling them. I have that many spares lying around I could probably do that, but I'm not sure about the stacking part.

Thanks again.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I took a couple of 3mH jaycar coils (that I bought this year), and set one up with a 1uF cap which resonated as expected at 2900Hz.

With both in parallel and sitting one on top of the other, I got 1.25mH when stacked the wrong way, and flipping the top one I got 1.85mH (which verifies this as half way between that is the 1.5mH I'd have if they weren't stacked).

I happen to know that the jaycar 1.8mH coils are listed as 1.05ohm, whereas this parallel stack is 0.68 ohms.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 132
re:'bad experiences with HASAaudio ' - my last shipment from HAS was somewhat tardy in arriving... perhaps he doesn't have all items in stock and needs to wait for delivery from manufacturer. IF this is the case, Mr HAS should be up front about it; otherwise he's just going to severely annoy his customers.

(I'm happy to buy SEAS from him and am prepared to wait for quality drivers, but accurate delivery times prevent frustration...)

Shipping times are an ongoing problem to be honest. Nzpost OR Aupost have gone to the slumps over the past 6 months. I dont know what end its on, but it comes back to me when things go wrong. Fair enough I guess. Delivery times can be consistent some months, but other times we get stuff sent back to us with 'undeliverable' written all over them. This causes delays beyond belief. However, if the bits arent in stock at the time of order, you are informed. Infact, we dont charge anything until it is.

Looked into using DHL, but considering the distance to australia, the pricing we can get isnt competitive enough. So a little bit stuck to be honest.

On a side note, Hasaudio is now a parttime thing for me. Was hoping to open a store, but market isnt big enough and I am not willing to take the risk. ALOT of gear I have will be going on sale and not stocked again. The website is going to be updated with SEAS gear and most likely SOME crossover parts for their kits and more popular values. Ive got stuff here that I have had ever since 2009 when the website first went up. The new site will show stock levels also, which is one of the problems we have had since the beginning. Working towards making things a little easier for you guys. Just have to work thru the dirt...

On a side note, Hasaudio is now a parttime thing for me. Was hoping to open a store, but market isnt big enough and I am not willing to take the risk.

DIY speaker parts is a thankless business with low margins unless you are a large player in the USA. I ran one for my own benefit and supplied drivers at cost + expenses for the DIY community for 3 years. Ended up with 1.5% profit but the low cost of drivers for myself was the main game.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.