Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2013, 05:22 PM   #311
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Hi, just a little update.

Just pick up the parts for the basket for the unit, man I am exited.... It is made from 10mm aluminium and the spacers made of stainless steel, they should be able to hole the field coil. Here is some pic's.

Take care

Very nice Frank. I like this frame design a lot. Much stronger then a normal frame. Looks cool too.

nick
Old 6th July 2013, 09:33 PM   #312
Hentai is offline Hentai  Japan
diyAudio Member

superb, so good looking

are you gonne use the screws holding the top plate to fix basket too?
Old 7th July 2013, 05:59 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

Frank,
Have pondered about using the two spring system myself. Do you think it necessary to connect the loops to say carbon pultruded tubes or carbon ribbon on edge would improve action by forcing the bending moment only at the springs?

Also using two springs per joint each turned opposite to the other when attached as mentioned above zero's out torque twist and giving you exceptional lateral stability a single point of a three point mount could never achieve.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:12 AM   #314
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
Frank,
Have pondered about using the two spring system myself. Do you think it necessary to connect the loops to say carbon pultruded tubes or carbon ribbon on edge would improve action by forcing the bending moment only at the springs?

Also using two springs per joint each turned opposite to the other when attached as mentioned above zero's out torque twist and giving you exceptional lateral stability a single point of a three point mount could never achieve.
Well I am no expert in spring suspension. But if you use carbon tubes you will ad a little bit of weight, but you can use the carbon tube to adjust the compliance of the springs that is a nice feature. A good thing is if you glue the carbon tubes to the voice coil former, you will have more surface and a better connection to the voice coil former.

Using two springs turned opposite to the other is a great idea, and considering the low mass of the springs it will give you no problems.

Hentai, Yes the 8 holes is for mounting the unit in the cabinet. 8 times 6mm screws should hole it in place.

Take care
Old 7th July 2013, 03:52 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Sorry Hentia, I misread you question... the answer is no. There are 8 separate holes for mounting the unit.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:33 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

The mass of what little carbon used would be very low. For example a 1 mm rod 1m long weighs less than a gram. Cannot measure in the microgram range atm. Down to about 0.1g is the best I can do with out modifying the scale with an output from the strain guage so I can feed it into my Fluke 867b.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:36 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Hi Grebster

I agree the gain in weight with the carbon tubes will bee next to non, But on the other hand even if the weight was as high as a normal spider you still would have virtually no surface areal... So it is a win-win situation. I have been thinking if it would be better to use nylon wire, the on that is used for fishing..any thoughts on that?

May I ask what kind of unit are you building, if you have some pictures it would bee great if you would post them here.
Old 11th July 2013, 02:43 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

I haven't looked into using fishing line in decades, would need to look into the new formulations available today. Hopefully they would be better behaved now than then when heated. Slowly creeping up on the temp and lowering it to form the loop. I would think very fine spring steel would work better. Don't know of anyone that makes springs from carbon tow at this scale LOL

Tangically attaching them in a V should help. Have these loops oppose each other along the length.
Old 15th July 2013, 01:05 AM   #319
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm curious about your surrounds. It seems most are normal half rolls.They create less resistance to the movement of the cone, don't they? So why are they alway on drivers that have a low sensitivity? Or is that just circumstantial? I'm still going to toy around with my diy cones on the jbl frames I've got. I'm just wondering iv I would gain a few db in sensitivity by using a foam half roll surround.

I know in lower power use it won't cause problems that it would in pro use.

I've also been wondering if it would be possible to make my own. But with fabric and not foam. Figured it would be less weight.

But I'll stick with a standard jbl flat spider. I don't want to get into trying to diy those with a large driver like a 15. I can imagine the cone shooting out of the frame with a serious drum passage, lol.

Nick
Old 15th July 2013, 06:45 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

You gave me an idea regarding carbon spring, why not make my own. I got some carbon roving.. each fibre is 7 micron in diameter, so it is just a question of taking the right amount, adding resin and put on a former. Got to give it a try...

Regarding surrounding, I am a bit confused to not sure on with I will use. Hentia talked about a progressive design, it should work nicely on a variety of cone weights sense it it is not tuned to a spec. compliance. He will know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_442.jpg (374.1 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_441.jpg (485.5 KB, 408 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!