Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker

I finally got some time off to do some measurements. I could only measure the mid bass unit in free air for now. Attached are the results. Could be better but i will wait to measure them again in the test enclosure.

I also got to test compliance on the spider. The difference in value is either due to errors in measuring delta x or due to the setup itself (basically adding mass and using gravity) But with an average 3.5mm/N it looks good in my opinion. Most certainly the surround is a big factor in Cms and with cloth triple roll surrounds it is the limiting factor.

I will run more tests hopefully this weekend.

Recorded a video bending the spider:

[Project Ryu] New Spider Concept Material Resistance - YouTube

Attachments

• Impedance Test 01J.jpg
    Impedance Test 01J.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 997
  • ComplianceTest Ryu Spider.jpg
    ComplianceTest Ryu Spider.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 989
  • Frequency Response on axis 01J.jpg
    Frequency Response on axis 01J.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 983
I like that, nice piece of machinery.....

Here is some pictures just for inspiration...I have to wait a couple of days so the glue can cure, get back to you with the result.

I forgot.. Can someone help me, how do I cal. fo with respect to mass and complience.

Take care

Attachments

• Capture_521.jpg
    Capture_521.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Capture_520.jpg
    Capture_520.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Capture_519.jpg
    Capture_519.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Capture_518.jpg
    Capture_518.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 851
  • Capture_517.jpg
    Capture_517.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will bee receiving the spiders from Hentai soon, I am so excited and can't hardly wait.

The surroundings chanced the high frequency respond a bit so I mounted the wizzer again, So this is how I will use them for now.....But might chance over time.

Here is some pictures.

Take care

Attachments

• Capture_524.jpg
    Capture_524.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Capture_523.jpg
    Capture_523.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Capture_522.jpg
    Capture_522.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 298
I have a question- will an SMPS work as a suitable PSU for a field-coil driver? Places like Connexelectronic have SMPSes at very reasonable prices. You can get an 800W SMPS for $100, or a 1kW SMPS for $120. Surely one of those would be good enough, not so? The reason I ask is that I sometimes look at vintage field-coil drivers on eBay, and I wonder if I will be able to power them with one of these SMPSes.

Thanks,
Deon

The first cone is finally ready tried to make it from a mix of carbon and kevlar combining with glassfibre on the back (hopefully not too much freq.peaks). Now it's time for the voicecoil. Keep you posted how it sounds, offcourse with measurements.

picture of the mold.

P1080113 (Medium).JPG

P1080114 (Medium).JPG

P1080117 (Medium).JPG

cheers

Last edited:
Hi Jef,

Any news on your nice cone.... what type of vax did you use on the former.

I did use Number 8 Mould Release Wax (normal release wax i suppose)
but used polished aluminium as mold and that helped a bit. 2 layers of wax within between 10min to dry.

Just made some parts that i can use my lathe as a winding machine. But for the moment no time for making the voicecoil. Hopefully within two weeks.

Also going to try making paper cones (paper mache). Almost no info on the net to do that. Tricky business...

cheers,

Just a update, from a happy man.

The units is fully assembled now and mounted I a baffle/ large leakage box, and I have been spending some time listing to them.

So how do they sound.....well fantastic they are so nice to listen to and the resolution and level of detail is mind blowing not to mention the level of the dynamic is fantastic. I believe that the field coil contribute to this, the magnetic field is more uniform that the normal ferrite magnet. So I guess there is no return to ferrite magnets.... well at least for now.

I had some people over just to make sure that I was not kidding my self, but they all was blown away by the sound.... And wanted to take them home to them self.

Well I will bee listing some more to my new speakers, man it is a good feeling.

Take care.

Attachments

• Capture_539.jpg
    Capture_539.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 684
  • Capture_538.jpg
    Capture_538.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 728
  • Capture_537.jpg
    Capture_537.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 745
  • Capture_540.jpg