AudioTechnology 15H + ScanSpeak Beryllium = Sequence Two – Monitor BE! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default AudioTechnology 15H + ScanSpeak Beryllium = Sequence Two – Monitor BE!

Hi everyone,

I’ve updated the Sequence Two – Monitor design with a ScanSpeak “Beryllium” tweeter version for those who wants a super expensive and exotic hard dome version!

Basically it’s the same design, but with minor tweaks made to the cross-over. The ScanSpeak “Beryllium” and the “Textile” AirCirc dome tweeter is essentially the same driver and can be regarded as drop-in replacements for each other in this design.

Sonically the “Beryllium” version has greater transparency, reveals additional micro-details and is a bit more analytic in its character compared to the “Textile” soft dome version.

For further details see:
Sequence Two - Monitor BE
ScanSpeak Textile Dome vs Beryllium Dome!

Regards

/Göran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture3.JPG (65.8 KB, 730 views)
File Type: jpg ST-MBE4.JPG (80.1 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg ST-MBE3.JPG (73.3 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg ST-MBE5.JPG (77.3 KB, 695 views)
Old 19th May 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very very nice. Its just so hard to justify the berrylium tweeter at double the price of the regular Aircirc!
Old 19th May 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gatti View Post
Its just so hard to justify the berrylium tweeter at double the price of the regular Aircirc!
Yes, I couldn’t agree more. The regular AirCirc has a better price/performance ratio, but if you want the last 10% performance and a slightly different sonic character, the Beryllium might be the way to go.

The ScanSpeak Beryllium is by far the best “hard” dome I’ve tested and listened to, but it’s up to each individual to decide if it’s worth the extra money or not.

I must say that the AT mid-woofer is a great driver despite it has some flaws like the dip around 1.25kHz and the rise of distortion at the same frequency, but it’s just cosmetically, because the sound is gorgeous even though it uses a no fancy PP cone.

The AT 15H is a very good mid-range performer, if not one of the best. I’m currently waiting for the pure mid-range version of the AT 15H and I’m eager to find out if it’s even better sounding.

Regards

/Göran
Old 19th May 2012, 11:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes I've used the AT15h in some of my designs too and agree that it's extremely neutral in it's character.
It's a pain though, dealing with it's peaks and dips.

Currently I use the Scanspeak Illuminator (12cm) midrange which has a little more (not unpleasant) character to it and IMO a fraction more detail.
Old 20th May 2012, 01:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very informative... I was originally planning to use the SS Beryllium tweeter with the AT mid, but wound up going with a RAAL 140-15 AM and the 12cm SS Illuminator (12MU8731 in parallel).

So far I have only performed a very quick check of the 12MU with speaker in hand and it does seem to have promise. I figure if it sounds half decent in my hand, it is only going to sound so much better in a proper cabinet.
Old 20th May 2012, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornir View Post
Yes, I couldn’t agree more. The regular AirCirc has a better price/performance ratio, but if you want the last 10% performance and a slightly different sonic character, the Beryllium might be the way to go.

The ScanSpeak Beryllium is by far the best “hard” dome I’ve tested and listened to, but it’s up to each individual to decide if it’s worth the extra money or not.
I agree with this.

Quote:
I must say that the AT mid-woofer is a great driver despite it has some flaws like the dip around 1.25kHz and the rise of distortion at the same frequency, but it’s just cosmetically, because the sound is gorgeous even though it uses a no fancy PP cone.
I'm not impressed by the audiotechnology drivers. it seems they are dissapointments on klippels, and seem to lack the subjective resolution of the finest drivers.

I think the scanspeak illuminator series, while it doesn't dig as deep as some, is on a whole 'nother level.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
I'm not impressed by the audiotechnology drivers. it seems they are dissapointments on klippels, and seem to lack the subjective resolution of the finest drivers.

I think the scanspeak illuminator series, while it doesn't dig as deep as some, is on a whole 'nother level.
Yes, ScanSpeak mid-woofers are among my favorites too, but I don’t think measurements alone tell the whole truth about how good a loudspeaker can sound. Yes, the AT driver have some flaws, but to my ears they also have a sound character that is really good. Not necessarily better than e.g. ScanSpeak, but different.

I’m very interested if you have compared these ScanSpeak mid-ranges and if so, how they sonically differ.

12MU/4731T00 Illuminator
12M/4631G00 Revelator

Regards

/Göran
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
tbone01 is offline tbone01  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AT 10" sandwich cone and SS beryllium tweeter

Do you think the audio technology 10" sandwich cone would work with the scan-speak beryllium tweeter as a two way?
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone01 View Post
Do you think the audio technology 10" sandwich cone would work with the scan-speak beryllium tweeter as a two way?
No, I think that would be pushing the limits for both drivers and it would most likely give a questionable result.

Perhaps I’m the wrong guy to ask, because I would personally hesitate to use anything larger than 7” for a 2-way

Regards

/Göran

Last edited by gornir; 23rd May 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Goran

1. Where can one buy the Audio Technology drivers cheaply. I looking for 10c77-25 -10 Kap.

2. Would you consider the AudioTechnology 15H better than the Scanspeak 18W8545-00 ?

Regards

Jozua

Hide this!Advertise here!