AudioTechnology 15H + ScanSpeak Beryllium = Sequence Two – Monitor BE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I’ve updated the Sequence Two – Monitor design with a ScanSpeak “Beryllium” tweeter version for those who wants a super expensive and exotic hard dome version! :)

Basically it’s the same design, but with minor tweaks made to the cross-over. The ScanSpeak “Beryllium” and the “Textile” AirCirc dome tweeter is essentially the same driver and can be regarded as drop-in replacements for each other in this design.

Sonically the “Beryllium” version has greater transparency, reveals additional micro-details and is a bit more analytic in its character compared to the “Textile” soft dome version.

For further details see:
Sequence Two - Monitor BE
ScanSpeak Textile Dome vs Beryllium Dome!

Regards

/Göran

Attachments

• Picture3.JPG
    Picture3.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 962
  • ST-MBE4.JPG
    ST-MBE4.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 974
  • ST-MBE3.JPG
    ST-MBE3.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 953
  • ST-MBE5.JPG
    ST-MBE5.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 929
Its just so hard to justify the berrylium tweeter at double the price of the regular Aircirc!

Yes, I couldn’t agree more. The regular AirCirc has a better price/performance ratio, but if you want the last 10% performance and a slightly different sonic character, the Beryllium might be the way to go. :D

The ScanSpeak Beryllium is by far the best “hard” dome I’ve tested and listened to, but it’s up to each individual to decide if it’s worth the extra money or not.

I must say that the AT mid-woofer is a great driver despite it has some flaws like the dip around 1.25kHz and the rise of distortion at the same frequency, but it’s just cosmetically, because the sound is gorgeous even though it uses a no fancy PP cone.

The AT 15H is a very good mid-range performer, if not one of the best. I’m currently waiting for the pure mid-range version of the AT 15H and I’m eager to find out if it’s even better sounding.

Regards

/Göran

Very informative... I was originally planning to use the SS Beryllium tweeter with the AT mid, but wound up going with a RAAL 140-15 AM and the 12cm SS Illuminator (12MU8731 in parallel).

So far I have only performed a very quick check of the 12MU with speaker in hand and it does seem to have promise. I figure if it sounds half decent in my hand, it is only going to sound so much better in a proper cabinet.

Yes, I couldn’t agree more. The regular AirCirc has a better price/performance ratio, but if you want the last 10% performance and a slightly different sonic character, the Beryllium might be the way to go. :D

The ScanSpeak Beryllium is by far the best “hard” dome I’ve tested and listened to, but it’s up to each individual to decide if it’s worth the extra money or not.

I agree with this.

I must say that the AT mid-woofer is a great driver despite it has some flaws like the dip around 1.25kHz and the rise of distortion at the same frequency, but it’s just cosmetically, because the sound is gorgeous even though it uses a no fancy PP cone.

I'm not impressed by the audiotechnology drivers. it seems they are dissapointments on klippels, and seem to lack the subjective resolution of the finest drivers.

I think the scanspeak illuminator series, while it doesn't dig as deep as some, is on a whole 'nother level.

I'm not impressed by the audiotechnology drivers. it seems they are dissapointments on klippels, and seem to lack the subjective resolution of the finest drivers.

I think the scanspeak illuminator series, while it doesn't dig as deep as some, is on a whole 'nother level.

Yes, ScanSpeak mid-woofers are among my favorites too, but I don’t think measurements alone tell the whole truth about how good a loudspeaker can sound. Yes, the AT driver have some flaws, but to my ears they also have a sound character that is really good. Not necessarily better than e.g. ScanSpeak, but different.

I’m very interested if you have compared these ScanSpeak mid-ranges and if so, how they sonically differ.

12MU/4731T00 Illuminator
12M/4631G00 Revelator

Regards

/Göran

Do you think the audio technology 10" sandwich cone would work with the scan-speak beryllium tweeter as a two way?

No, I think that would be pushing the limits for both drivers and it would most likely give a questionable result.

Perhaps I’m the wrong guy to ask, because I would personally hesitate to use anything larger than 7” for a 2-way ;)

Regards

/Göran

Last edited:
Goran

1. Where can one buy the Audio Technology drivers cheaply. I looking for 10c77-25 -10 Kap.

2. Would you consider the AudioTechnology 15H better than the Scanspeak 18W8545-00 ?

Regards

Jozua

If there are no AT dealers around your area, you can order directly from Per Skaaning. Drop him an email.

The 15H driver is a little cleaner than the Scans(15W/18W) in the midrange. The bass is also more accurate. The Scans offer a more relaxed and warm sound with better bass punch/extension. One of the biggest differences between the 2 drivers is in the depth of soundstage. The 15H throws a very deep soundstage, and is something I could never achieve with the Scans. I would expect the 15H midrange version to be even better than the 15H in a 3 way system.

The 15H driver is a little cleaner than the Scans(15W/18W) in the midrange. The bass is also more accurate. The Scans offer a more relaxed and warm sound with better bass punch/extension. One of the biggest differences between the 2 drivers is in the depth of soundstage. The 15H throws a very deep soundstage, and is something I could never achieve with the Scans. I would expect the 15H midrange version to be even better than the 15H in a 3 way system.

Jozua,

I think chlorofille sums it up perfectly and I share his experience.

The ScanSpeak 18W8545 is a very old driver and if you want ScanSpeak, I would instead use something from the Revelator series.

Regards

/Göran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.