First DIY Build help. 3-way floor-stander. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2012, 03:37 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias318 View Post
Any tips and changes that will give me a better experience would be greatly appreciated.
Elias, you are young and don't have a lot of experience so if you want it to be good better to follow an established design.
Three-way tower with Daytons
Also look for the Tarkus 3-Way.
Building 3-way speakers
Old 16th May 2012, 06:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Okay thanks for all the input fellas. I decided i am going to use an established design. Does anybody know of or find me a design thats looks similar to the one that i drew up? My budget has changed and im looking to spend around $200 for the speakers and $50 on the crossover. (USD) Also the design must be 40"-48" high, no more than 14" length, and no more than 20" width. Also, I know this may sound like a complete noobish question, but if i was the design a speaker box, would i add the VAS for all the speakers and find dimensions that would equal up to the sum of those numbers?
Old 16th May 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Agrippa is offline Agrippa  United States
diyAudio Member

thank you for the dimensions.

Noah's 8s found at Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers.
These come in under $200... around $175.

Curt's Stentorians really rock and are not expensive http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/The...ians_17029.pdf also http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html . They are about $200 and can play really loud, 92-94 dB sensitivity. They have "tactile presence"... ie you feel it. 6 woofers per box is awesome. They(6 woofers) would feel like a 15" woofer but have more detail. Lastly, these are hugely popular. I have read about may who have built this design. Lots of box options.

The 3-Bs at Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers. is priced about $250 a little out of your range but they might work.

There are others but the price begins to rise. Also, consider this: You could have a 2 part project. Nice speakers now and then a sub later when you have the money. Just a thought

Last edited by Agrippa; 16th May 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Agrippa for the links. My plan was to buy a sub in the future. But a few things i should have mentioned. I HAVE VERY LITTLE SKILLS AT WOODWORKING. Im gonna need a very basic design with everything laid out for me. Also can you give me a direct link to the 3-bs? i cant seem to find them on the website. or atleast give me the page number.
Old 18th May 2012, 03:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default “The 3-B” (Beginner’s Budget Build)

Page 3 of the projects
Old 18th May 2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Agrippa is offline Agrippa  United States
diyAudio Member

Get some one to help you cut the circular holes for the drivers. Ask your shop teacher...stay after school for the help if you need to. I used to help kids all the time with stuff like this. They should be flush mounted. Also, make sure all your joints are sealed. This can not be stressed enough. Damping is important also... So much to tell but get a good design and take your time. Take Pics and post them as you go and people will offer pointers.

Spend some time on the internet looking into people's builds. Some have very good pictures and go step by step. Some people make videos. Hey, take some notes.

The link won't allow that kind of detail. Look to the left on the link and see the speaker project tab and click on on it. They should be on page 3.

On a side note I am toying with something like the Stentorians for my barn/shop. That way I can crank em and hear them all over my property.

have fun.
Old 1st June 2012, 08:47 AM   #17
samp78 is offline samp78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, I am doing a similar project however I am creating amps myself too, will be 80 watt each side (50 bottom end - 30 top end). I have designed a band-pass cabinet (images) (I haven't decided on 4 or 6 ports yet and top cab will be sealed, ignore third link can't get rid of it) Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.for my 250mm bass drivers. Now to my question: I am putting an active crossover into this project I have found the design I wish to use but I am unsure which values to change to alter the x-over frequency (schematic attached) Thanks for any help in advance!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th June 2012, 10:41 PM   #18
samp78 is offline samp78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anyone?
Old 8th June 2012, 12:30 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

samp78,
This forum is more about passive speakers and crossovers (plus active and dsp).
More adequate to ask your question in other forums because it might not be answered here in real-time...
Analog Line Level - diyAudio
Solid State - diyAudio
Chip Amps - diyAudio
Old 8th June 2012, 01:08 PM   #20
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

FWIW the 3B's are a fine example of how not to choose drivers
and design / build a loudspeaker, not recommended at all.

Not much wrong with the Stentorians if that is what you want.

Good cheap 3 ways are very thin on the ground, I don't know any.

If your woodworking skills are poor here is a very good 1st project :

TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702

Click the image to open in full size.

On your budget and including the woodwork, precut flat pack cabinets.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!