First DIY Build help. 3-way floor-stander.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dayton Audio DC25T-8 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter 275-045

Dayton Audio DC200-8 8" Classic Woofer 295-310

Goldwood GM-85/8 5" Heavy Duty Sealed Back Midrange 8 Ohm 280-115

Hey Guys, new to the forums. I plan on building my first set of DIY speakers, Actually by the time i build these over the summer my first DIY will have been built because I take a DIY audio class at my school. Im only 16 so my budget is pretty small. Around $250 for a pair, including crossover. My main concern is knowing if that these parts will work together in the box i have constructed. I plan on using 1 tweeter, 1 midrange, and 2 woofers for each speaker.

Here are the speakers:

Tweeter:
Dayton Audio DC25T-8 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter 275-045

Woofers:
Dayton Audio DC200-8 8" Classic Woofer 295-310

Midrange:
Goldwood GM-85/8 5" Heavy Duty Sealed Back Midrange 8 Ohm 280-115

photo.jpg
(if you can't read the dimensions they are 12x16x46 (inches))

Also I prefer Bass-Heavy Music, Mostly Hip Hop, but i dont want the bass to drown out everything else. So I Prefer mostly Bass, but not too much. The room i will be listening in, is 15' by 15' (Ft.).
So my question is, Will these speakers work together and work well together in this box? Any tips and changes that will give me a better experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
First, I would recommend looking up some proven designs. I will include links at the end. Then pick one that works. You could just through some speaker drivers together with a store bought cross over but that would not sound good. Frankly, I(we) in the DIY boards wouldn't want you to do that. You can have some nice speakers for what you want to spend.
Second, many people want lots of bass. That does not mean it is accurate. What they usually mean is bloated/boomy bass. That is fine. Take not that a really well done set of speakers will give you good bass and in many cases reveal things you have never noticed. I would spend about half on a nice set of speakers and then get a sub.

Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers. look at some of these. The woodies might fit your style nicely.
TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Kit Components Only Pair 300-700 a nice kit and cheap... It will put out more bass than you think. Curt is a top notch designer. And you would have enough money left over to build your self a sub.
HTGuide Forum - Missions Accomplished! lots of proven finished designs
Zaph|Audio some really nice stuff. Some of his designs are cheap. you would be hard pressed to find a better designer
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen fun high end stuff. Most of it is out of your range.

Subs
Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer 264-854
I have built 3 subs with 2 of these in each. I used it in a horn configuration very much like this DECWARE's Wicked-One Horn Subwoofer
I sold all 3. Head crushing lows.

Remember, a cheap good design properly executed will beat an expensive pile of parts any day.
Have fun

HI , I would investigate more on the emotional side that brings to DIY something .
As you said ,lots of bass but not too much ...or tomorrow it can be a well defined treble or a powerful midrange . So you may discuss of it in a Psychology class or an Advertisement one , if you think that you've got the product that satisfies the requests .
Usually , speakers aren't done on a budget . Because you want music and not damaged ears and brains . Usually , the ear and the brain (mostly ) accommodate themselves if the level of expectancy is not gained : the music senses go back to bed , as they have been alerted but not amused , so they refuse to hear more .
Basically , you'll have to control the resonance of the woofer , and then to make all the speakers sound into one voice , so knowing how to control them by the mean of a crossover ( also active ) is strongly 'urged' :)
In the end you'll just be thinking of efficiency and sensitivity of each speaker in each band , so bass may be just the 40-80 Hz band that has the same importance of , say , 9000-13 KHz . Psychologically maybe not , also physically ...who knows ...

I like the introductory part : ' I'm new to the forum and I'm 16 , and I want to build a set of speakers'
As forums may be the new way of communicating...but 'right here, right now' never works .
And woofers ....:eek::eek::eek: Really , do they have to be more sensitive ??
:rolleyes: That is achieved by doubling the number ! But you reduce the impedance , and the amplifier may 'dislike ' it .
I'm currently following on a Forum ( italian , yes .. ) two projects . One includes two Dayton woofers , and is a WMTW very tall ...well , it has also a Motorola piezo to help the large dome tweeter ; one woofer placed near the floor and the other near the ceiling , to take major control of room modes .
The other project uses a Monacor dual coil .

Yes...indeed ( I KNOW you are interested in the tall WMTW project ,Pete :D )
the tall project features a ( Rod Elliot Sound Westhost ....) 2-way electronic crossover for the wf section and the mid-tw-stw . centered at about 250 Hz ,it's a 12 dB slope ( ? ) but different electrical crossover points for the necessity of finding the right overlap between the woofer section and mid , the mid being a Ciare PM 160 ( pro ) and the tw a PT 383 ( mid-hi sensitivity , it is 'pro' classified indeed it's a dome for home ). The two Dayton DC 250 ( or 200 ?? ) work each in a 40 l box with bass reflex port , and they are placed above and beyond the central mid-tw-st unit ...well : the guy who carries out the project did a single tall panel with all the holes in it :p
the midrange has an inclined back plane : that is the new 'discovery' on how to kill spurious frequencies ...:p

For me , that is an extreme displacement of forces , also the two 200 W for each channel amps in the count , for a small apartment room , with low ceilings and stabilized furniture . But OP wanted to have good bass , as he knew the sound of the bass being a bass player for hobby ....:rolleyes:

So , I would say to Elias to start with the drivers two by two
and to conceive the term 'floorstand' as a typical functional term , i.e. it has to guarantee the right tweeter-to-hear-height and the cabinet must contain all the loudspeakers ,crossover ,terminals ...which is just a definition of a product
in a commercial way of thinking , where the buyer wants a box :rolleyes:
to handle ...indeed little boxes are practical , and they do better compared to big boxes in room positioning , which is determining for the final sound ....
And I said 'two by two' as yesterday I was listening...well , they did their running in , the mid and the tweeter alone ...guess what ? Box for the woofer , or better , the thing supposed to support the woofer and the rest and determining the major important front wave :rolleyes:, still in construction .
It is a floor stander !! What else on Earth doesn't stand on the floor???
Well , acoustic waves ...but air is still subjected by gravity ! No , it's a gas , it's compressed ,by gravity and all the universe :crazy:
So ...it's a 'world' with its own laws ? There's freedom and new way of thinking ? No , it's just music , different language if you know what i mean
Hey , stop ! I just wanted to hear loud , plenty of bass ,enough power not to disturb the neighbors .
So , add a subwoofer ! :p It has adjustable gain !

Okay thanks for all the input fellas. I decided i am going to use an established design. Does anybody know of or find me a design thats looks similar to the one that i drew up? My budget has changed and im looking to spend around $200 for the speakers and $50 on the crossover. (USD) Also the design must be 40"-48" high, no more than 14" length, and no more than 20" width. Also, I know this may sound like a complete noobish question, but if i was the design a speaker box, would i add the VAS for all the speakers and find dimensions that would equal up to the sum of those numbers?

thank you for the dimensions.

Noah's 8s found at Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers.
These come in under $200... around $175.

Curt's Stentorians really rock and are not expensive http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/The_Stentorians_17029.pdf also http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html . They are about $200 and can play really loud, 92-94 dB sensitivity. They have "tactile presence"... ie you feel it. 6 woofers per box is awesome. They(6 woofers) would feel like a 15" woofer but have more detail. Lastly, these are hugely popular. I have read about may who have built this design. Lots of box options.

The 3-Bs at Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers. is priced about $250 a little out of your range but they might work.

There are others but the price begins to rise. Also, consider this: You could have a 2 part project. Nice speakers now and then a sub later when you have the money. Just a thought

Last edited:
Thanks Agrippa for the links. My plan was to buy a sub in the future. But a few things i should have mentioned. I HAVE VERY LITTLE SKILLS AT WOODWORKING. Im gonna need a very basic design with everything laid out for me. Also can you give me a direct link to the 3-bs? i cant seem to find them on the website. or atleast give me the page number.

Get some one to help you cut the circular holes for the drivers. Ask your shop teacher...stay after school for the help if you need to. I used to help kids all the time with stuff like this. They should be flush mounted. Also, make sure all your joints are sealed. This can not be stressed enough. Damping is important also... So much to tell but get a good design and take your time. Take Pics and post them as you go and people will offer pointers.

Spend some time on the internet looking into people's builds. Some have very good pictures and go step by step. Some people make videos. Hey, take some notes.

The link won't allow that kind of detail. Look to the left on the link and see the speaker project tab and click on on it. They should be on page 3.

On a side note I am toying with something like the Stentorians for my barn/shop. That way I can crank em and hear them all over my property.

have fun.

Hi, I am doing a similar project however I am creating amps myself too, will be 80 watt each side (50 bottom end - 30 top end). I have designed a band-pass cabinet (images) (I haven't decided on 4 or 6 ports yet and top cab will be sealed, ignore third link can't get rid of it)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
for my 250mm bass drivers. Now to my question: I am putting an active crossover into this project I have found the design I wish to use but I am unsure which values to change to alter the x-over frequency (schematic attached) Thanks for any help in advance!
active-crossover-circuit.png

Hi,

FWIW the 3B's are a fine example of how not to choose drivers
and design / build a loudspeaker, not recommended at all.

Not much wrong with the Stentorians if that is what you want.

Good cheap 3 ways are very thin on the ground, I don't know any.

If your woodworking skills are poor here is a very good 1st project :

TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702

On your budget and including the woodwork, precut flat pack cabinets.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.