Open Baffle active Xo/EQ/Amp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear DIY audio Community,
I am asking your help, opinion again. Just to see if you have any better idea and options to do. I am doing an Open Baffle speaker.
The main driver will be the AER MK1

MK 1

the woofer will be the AE Dipole 15
AE Speakers Online Store

or
SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6

(you can make recommendations on this one as well.)
In a previous thread I was convinced to go active as the easiest way to do.
OK.
The special question is: I have custom built tube amp which I do want to use as a main amplifier.
The signal from the CD player is one pair of RCA. No rec RCA out, to steal the signal from here... I have an XLR output as well on the player, so I can deliver RCA or XLR signal, but this is raw signal, not volume controlled.
My plan was to use the AER driver directly driven by the tube amp with passive filer and some EQ. Xo freq was planned or at 500 or 250 12 db passive for this.
And the difficulty is here. How to integrate the woofer into this system, how to keep in charge the tube amp of the volume control?
I have a couple of ideas i had and you can tell me which is good, which is bad if I am completely stupid.
Plan A. Use a plate amplifier.
It would be as I just would have to mount it. The problem, most of them have minimal EQ possibility, and to keep the volume control of the main amp, I need a possibility of the active input on the plate amp...

Rythmik Audio • Subwoofer plate amplifiers Servo A300?

or http://www.hypex.nl/docs/AS2100_manual.pdf -
I cannot work out how to keep in charge the tube amp volume control for this, unless delivering the signal form the tube amp output...
Any view on this? Or could you recommend a better one? Not in a mad price.
Plan B, custom built amp.
To tell you honestly I like this idea a bit better and there is only one specific question, which I never came across before - how to steal the signal? I will explain it in a second.
So the active module looks very tempting with a great class D amp
I was planning to use

UcD400ST

Obviously needs power source etc...

I think a pair is needed. The XO and EQ could be done dead easy:

miniDSP Kits | miniDSP

With the mini DSP I can sort the XO and EQ easy, this is not a question. Also by tuning the volume of the DSP will be very easy to harmonize the AER and AE/SB drivers together, to compensate the difference of the sensitivity etc...
for one volume level...
the issue for me is: i can set it up for one certain volume level. For example the tube amp is on volume level 5, and i have to adjust the volume of the woofer amp to for example 8,2.. there should be a certain ratio between them which I can find and tune by microphone etc... But then every time I will have to adjust the volume of the two speaker amps as i change the tube amps volume....not an option.
I cannot adjust the source signal. There is no room to fit a pream into the system, I can use the CD source (audiolab 8200) and it directly goes into the tube amp...
Do you see any solutions here.
I was told there is a chance to steal the signal from the tube amp active output. I never done it and I don’t know if it is good. It looks a working idea.
i know there some easy answers to this questions but as i told, I cannot/ don’t want to fit a preamp into the system.
The Cd player hasn’t got a volume control option...
So here is the challenge for the community...
I don’t want to decline the plate amp option either, just not sure if it is good enough. I mean it has some certain limitations. No dedicated EQ, the XO freq is usually not high enough for what i want...
Thanks
David

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.