seas woofers and vifa tweeters, attenuate tweeter? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 03:47 PM   #21
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you haven't bought the drivers yet simply build a good well known
design and learn about the design details as you are building. Crossing
the tweeter too low causes distortion and very low overexcursion.

What sort of speaker do you want ?

rgds, sreten.

undefinition (see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)
The Speaker Building Bible - Thread opened for edits/input. - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
Zaph|Audio
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter
http://audio.claub.net/Simple%20Loud...ign%20ver2.pdf
FRD Consortium tools guide
Designing Crossovers with Software Only
RJB Audio Projects
Jay's DIY Loudspeaker Projects
Speaker Design Works
HTGuide Forum - A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.
A Speaker project
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen
Humble Homemade Hifi
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Great free SPICE Emulator : SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Tool Folder
Old 18th May 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Phase. What is phase?

You have to read to understand about phase. (google, there are also videos)
Think of it like the reverse of the sound wave.
So the wave front and the back of the wave or anti-phase give you a null. The consequence is that well guess... no output. For speakers/sound you always want to have them coherent, with no "interference" between two sound sources from different locations in space, like when they criss-cross.
Phase, what is phase?
1. Loudspeaker designer John Dunlavy: By the Numbers... | Stereophile.com
2. Phase, Time and Distortion in Loudspeakers
3. Pi Speaker Forum - Baffle spacing, phase angles and time alignment, revisited - Wayne Parham, May 14, 2003 at 00:56:30

Last edited by Inductor; 18th May 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 18th May 2012, 07:57 PM   #23
Rijaak is offline Rijaak  United States
diyAudio Member

So in PCD, how would I model phase effects of pointing the tweeters towards the center of the room while the woofers point straight out?
Old 18th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

What about two speakers on a rear wall facing those on a front wall?
Old 19th May 2012, 06:25 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

So I asked madisound to do a LEAP design to see what came back they advised against using the Seas H1224 because of "the limitations of a larger cone woofer being used well into the upper midrange." What do they mean? Can someone provide a link to the Zaphs crossover that was referred to earlier? I can't find it.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:16 PM   #26
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Rijaak,

Please, please go get a copy of Joe DeApollito's book on measuring speakers. I am sure there other primers out there. Read Zaph's WEB, Read Linkwitz's WEB. This is actually a very complex subject.

Designing crossovers is all about phase and driver interaction. 90% of the results is the crossover. You are jumping way too far ahead. "Flat" response is not exactly correct. Even if you are going to copy a crossover, take the time to understand what it is trying to do. Download and read the users manual to SoundEasy. You can learn a lot.

If you don't have it, download WinISD for a good start on cabinet design software. Don't guess. I recommend first projects to be sealed as they are more forgiving.

Where I am coming form is the WEB has a lot of information. Be careful which you pick. Go to the places where it is reliable. Sreten gave you a good list. This forum has some very very astute members. Pay attention. Do some homework. If for no other reason, crossover parts are getting very expensive so you want to have to re-do them as few times as possible!
Old 20th May 2012, 03:48 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I see. Sreten, whats up with the distortion on the seas? I saw that it was crossed over fine at 2000 hz for the 2way design on the posted site. Why did madisound advise against using? Distortion etc? If trying to decide if I should tell them to go ahead with the seas design anyway.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:56 PM   #28
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

See the links in post #7. The Seas bass/mid needs more design
skill than the simplistic LEAP x/o's Madisound churn out simply.

rgds, sreten.
Old 20th May 2012, 05:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Ok. Currently rereading. "Designing crossovers with software only" then will restart from scratch to account for phase, cabiney effects, etc. Any pointers or cautionary advice about reallying on the methods from this faq?
Old 21st May 2012, 12:50 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijaak View Post
Ok. Currently rereading. "Designing crossovers with software only" then will restart from scratch to account for phase, cabiney effects, etc. Any pointers or cautionary advice about reallying on the methods from this faq?
First, explain the audience (if you insist) why you are certain about your decision in choosing your drivers to make your first pair of speakers. "What does computers has to do with it..."
Quote:
Just a what my punch-card computer designing father taught me growing up.
Sorry to say I don't admire members that instead of asking for questions about what their drivers should be (or kits) ask a lot of questions and know nothing.

Last edited by Inductor; 21st May 2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: NPI

Hide this!Advertise here!