Phase-alignment based method of designing multi-way speakers

Yes, most of the time practical issues dictate for certain solutions. There is this idea in back of my head that when the acoustic design is right, the xo snaps into place as well as the sound. Purpose of the xo is merely to make the acoustic design work, all the real problems are in the acoustic domain in the transducers and in the enclosure/structure.

Completely agree.
Ime/imo, xovers are (or at least should be) the very easiest part of speaker design.

Hi mark100,

ER stands for Early Reflections.

And yes I've found out it takes no time to "perfect" an xo to a given physical loudspeaker design with the home spinorama measurements and VituixCAD. Only way to make better looking graphs is to make the speaker measure better, a better acoustic design :D

If I remember VituixCAD calculates them like in the CTA-2034-A standard. I think I've seen a thread in audioscienceforum where someone investigated there was a difference between VCAD and some standard how the ER was calculated, which then was corrected by kimmosto.

Gotta mention I haven't read the standard paper yet, although there is mention that the in-room response can be approximated in a typical living room situation using weights like so: 12% listening window response, 44% early reflections DI, 44% power response. When this is the case the ER really matter, and thus the speaker off-axis response. One of the reasons I got interested in the phase-alignment subject and started to think about it when the thread popped up from the deeps.

Paper can be downloaded here for free Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers (ANSI/CTA-2034
– Consumer Technology Association(R)

Last edited: