filterdesign revelator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The units all arrived and cabinetmaterial (38mm MDF) also. BUT still nothing for the filter. I have lsp-cad but do not know how to operate this highly advanced piece of software. I guess that there is no commercial filter for these units, although I think that it is a logical combination/choice of units.
Absolutely no answer of anybody but Ralph.

ANYBODY????? PLEASE.......:mad::whacko:

You have to measure the frequency respons of each driver in the cabinet you designed for them. You do the same with the impedance curve. If you have done that, you can utilize lspcad to design a crossover. If you don't want to do it yourself, you need someone else to do it. These drivers need a proper crossover to do them fully justice. Each combination of drivers and enclosure need another crossover, there isn't a general perfect solution.

As a starting point you can use the formula's for calculating the component values using your impedance (at the crossover frequency) but a 3way isn't easy to get right without the proper tools.

edit: to measure with lspcad, you can use the free plugin justMLS

It is going to be an active system with several Aleph amps but its going to take a lot time before everything is finished and I want some sound, so therefore I am looking for an adequate filter not state-of-the-art, something reasonable.
I just got lspcad so I dont master this program (also going to take a lot of time)

Going to be an active system??? :confused: Will you use active crossover??? Will you build a passive one and discard it when you're ready to build the active one? I think the problem is in the enclosure. You don't want a temporary enclosure, do you? Or may be you want a WWMT enclosure that works for both passive and active? Or you want to three-wire the passive crossover?

I don't understand active crossovers. But if I do, I will build my own version of the PHOENIX. If I own your drivers may be I will. I will learn the active crossover and build a temporary passive crossover with an open enclosure like PHOENIX. The enclosure may be kept (for the active version) but the crossover will be a waste (IMO the crossover is cheaper and may be re-used, to not to waste the enclosure of a passive system). I will use cheap inductors and MKP.

For the passive system, I may leave one woofer, one midrange, or leave a woofer and a midrange, depend on the result of my experimentation with the drivers.

To save time, I will aim a series crossover (one woofer + one tweeter) and see if I better incorporate another woofer and the midrange (there is no problem with drivers positioning in such system). If I were successfull to incorporate all the drivers and achieved good result, I would forget the active system! :D But then I would waste the Alephs! :bawling:

Sorry cannot help, I guess you got a hard mission there, aaronbaumans :bigeyes:

apparently the 9900 can be used with a seris XO. i cant remember the site but google will be able to help.

i would suggest that you for a 3 way XO because the 12W4631 cant be driven too hard. i am not at my pc and wont be for a few weeks so i cant send the links. but andy G's site or acoustic reality might be a good place to start.

dave, care to trapeeze in and help.

thanx for the replies. Yes I will discard the passive x-over (re-use the components).It is all a matter of time. It will be a 3 way active system wwmt. The design for the enclose is almost finished, big one for the pair of woofers and a satellite with the 2 revelators. (ofcourse 4-wire system). The final crossover will probebly be a digital one (modified Behringer?).
Crossoverpoints at 250 and 2500Hz I guess, not sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.