Depth of baffle step - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2012, 12:07 PM   #11
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mathematically, a pure pulse is simply all frequencies at the same time. If your woofer doesn't trace the leading edge, what does it mean? It doesn't do 20kHz. No problem. Why not try HolmImpulse, Dr Geddes has vouched on its behalf regarding its measuring abilities.

I don't have much luck with pads. Some absorb, some reflect and some are just transparent despite what they look like. I can get clean down to the 200-300Hz region in a domestic room without pads and find that is sometimes enough.

What push button things in AVRs are you talking about, are they the deconvolution signals used to reverse engineer rooms on the fly? If so you'd probably find me walking the other way
Old 18th May 2012, 01:56 PM   #12
PA0SU is offline PA0SU  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What about the baffle step with a speaker in a not enclosed baffle?
Old 19th May 2012, 01:13 AM   #13
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

It seem every brand has their own automatic frequency eq system Audissy or something. Don't know how they work, but the demo's I heard led me running, not walking away. Even when I measure a room for integrating the subs, I am never happy with the flat measured response once I put music through it. I prefer a lot less power than measured. Music or natural speaking reveals a lot more. Nothing beats a voice you know well.

I have had quite a bit of luck building absorption panels for room tuning using damaged fiberglass ceiling tiles. Joe DeApollito recommends old cotton army pads. There are various OEM products, but pretty expensive. The real ones will provide specifications. Not cheap of course. It should not be too difficult to build range specific panels for the step range, say 300 to 1K. Below that, the depth of absorbers gets very difficult.

PA,
Check out Linkwitz on open baffle design.

Hide this!Advertise here!