Spreadsheet to design your own Synergy (or more simple conical) horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while ago I posted a link to a spreadsheet to help for designing Unity/Synergy (or other conical wood type) horns. If anyone was planning to use that for making a horn, there is a new version now available, link (and a bunch of photos) is at:
DIY Synergy/Unity spreadsheet.

This one makes horns that look a lot better and make better use of the dimensions (which tend to get large!).
IMAG0268.jpg

BTW, I checked the spreadsheet on the freeware spreadsheet program "GNUmeric" and it works fine. So you don't need to buy Microsoft Office to use this.

If you don't know what a Synergy Horn is, Google it. It's a design that solves a lot of speaker problems all at once, a Tom Danley concept. (Patented, so don't plan on making these for sale).

panels.JPG

No, sorry, it's only set up for 4-walled (rectangular) conical horns. Compression driver size can be whatever you want (one of the values you enter to start).

Driver flare rate would ideally match the rate(s) of the horn. You could (with work) extend the throat to include a quasi-OS or quadratic throat to adapt to the driver. But that would lengthen the throat, making it difficult to adapt it to a Unity/Synergy horn. OK for a single-driver horn, though.

A conical horn has a flare rate that depends on the position down the axis. Lower frequencies should enter where rate is slower (that's the Unity concept).

For a Unity, throat and driver are largely unmatched (other than a little smoothing with a file!). I do try to get a wide throat angle.

There's an unfinished writeup at: http://www.libinst.com/SynergyCalc/Synergy%20Calc%20V5.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.