Acoustic research

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of acoustic research 162 spirit floor standers & need to rebuild or replace the crossovers :( the tweeter is playing up but unfortunately I can not find the diagrams for the life of me!! Would any one happen to have any idea where I can get them from please or possibly know what I might need?
I would be very grateful :0)

Does anyone have any ideas about the spirit 162's crossover or schematics please? Have posted a thread at classic speaker pages & they have said its to new & no joy..... :( while I agree they aren't true AR's they are a great speaker. My problem is one tweeter crackles a bit but only on 1 classicical piece of music at a reasonable volume. It is mainly a piano piece & very annoying as any other classical piece is ok as is any other genre of music at a louder volume!! Any info would be really appreciated guys. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies it's very appreciated. I had ordered a pair of black rhodium interconnects & before I started to swap tweeters round etc I thought I'd just try them, tweeter issue seems to be resolved & I now have much better low frequencies which I had lost since changing the amplifier!! It would appear that expensive isn't always best... I now have marantz pm7200 with cd6002 & it would seem that the £65 black rhodium IC is much better suited than the £2600 black rhodium DCT IC!!! :)

i once had a speaker that had a similar habit, only easily noticable with piano and clean acoustic transients. Turned out the crossover wasnt working to protect the tweeter well enough and the fairly pure tones these instruments make was exciting the tweeter resonance, which wasnt apparent with violin and dirty guitar with their more harmonic structures. Check the points sreten posted. In my case it turned out that one tweeter had a quite significantly different resonant frequency.

Thank you I will try & swap the tweeters over the weekend etc :) it's strange that the cheaper cables seem to take the brightness away from sound hence tweeter issue seems to have cleared... But as you say it isn't right so I do need to investigate. They are approx 22years old so a crossover rebuild is over due perhaps :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.